Lighting Instruments and labels

EHS

quote:

Originally posted by EHS:

Why is it that instrument lables rarely fall in the correct position in relation to the instrument symbol? I understand that this has to do with the layer scale, but how can I correct this?

I don't know if this will help, but I've found that when I cut and paste a theatre drawing into the theatrical lighting template I have to have both drawings in the same scale or the instrument labels won't line up with the instrument symbol. Hope this helps. Anyone else know a good trick?

I'm guessing at your problem, and am not sure if I have hit the mark.

I always start a blank document using the Theatrical Lighting Template; and then I never mess with the scale of the setup layers. When you place and define an instrument, then that instrument and thoes labels are in the light plot Layer. By definition thoes labels are now independent of the Setup Layer.

When you place the labels around the symbol key in the setup layer, then thoes labels are taking their position from the center of the symbol shown. When You start placing instruments, then the labels are always placed using that original distance. So if the labels were placed based on an ERS Zoom, then when you place a fresnels the Color Label is going to be way out there.

From What you described, I am not sure if that is your problem though. When I start a new light plot I always build the inventory away from the drawing. I place one type of instrument, Define it as an instrument, Arrange the labels according to that instruments size, add any standard data like frame size or lamp wattage, then I duplicate that instrument until I have the number in my inventory. I do this for all of my instruments. Then When I am arranging instruments on my plot I drag from my stock pile onto the plot, Rotate the instruments accordingly, assign to a lighting position, then add in the rest of the data to the instrument. If I need to I can edit the instrument group, and Remove the labels I don't want(I Like to show dimmers for single lamp circuits, but I remove the dimmer field from my cyc light cells because I have so many of them gaigned together) This way all of my fresnels have the same labeling pattern, and all of my ERS zooms have the color label 18" away from the center of the symbol.

I have seen a couple of bugs that moved labels and placed them wrong, But I haven't seen too many of thoes since 8.5.2

Hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by EHS:

Why is it that instrument lables rarely fall in the correct position in relation to the instrument symbol? I understand that this has to do with the layer scale, but how can I correct this?

If your labels are being uniformly offset from the instrument, then it is the result of the user origin being moved, or the move page tool being used. These bugs have been addressed by a patch to the theatre lighting toolkit. Visit our website and check the updates section for the update.

HTH

Kevin Moore

Product Manager

Nemetschek N.A.