Apple macOS 13 Ventura Compatibility - Feedback

On 10/31/2022 at 5:25 PM, Dave Donley said:

Hello @Kees W Redshift is included with Vectorworks and is used when rendering in Redshift or in Renderworks render modes, which is often.  The first time this is done there is long pause (can be minutes).  After that the application works normally.  It happens again with every new Vectorworks session, it doesn't go away with new sessions.

Ah, I understand thanks. Found it in the RenderWorks style settings.

A little Off topic, but it doesn't work for me, it throws up an error "Redshift cannot operate with less than 128Mb of free VRAM. Aborting the render" I have an older 4GB Vega Pro card in an Intel MacBook Pro, so that message seems strange, but I'll assume it needs newer hardware (VW2023 SP1)

Would that mean the issue would not occur for me in Ventura. (this is mostly out of curiosity, I'm not updating yet.

The comment about pre-compiled shaders missing from the new OS also sparked my interest. If this is the issue, shouldn't the issue occur in VW2022 also? Again, out of curiosity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, GatRed said:

@Dave DonleyIs Vectorworks 2023 SP2 fully compatible with Ventura ? (including this Redshift plugin).

We are adding something like the following to the Ventura compatibility page linked above:

Vectorworks 2023 SP2 - Vectorworks is fully compatible with Ventura.
Known issues: Redshift GPU rendering shows a long pause when used for the first time in each session, then proceeds normally thereafter. Redshift GPU is enabled on high-performance GPUs such as M-series and Intel AMD 5600/5800. This problem will be corrected in a future Service Pack.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update!

My MBPro running 2023.1 hung on printing (elevation hidden line rendering I assume?) and various mystery stuff, and this 2023.2 patch has (for now!) cleared that up.

2019 MBPro 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Good morning

I would like to report an important BUG for CW windows. By copying and pasting the same window, they change the size. Trying the file on Big Sur DOES NOT HAPPEN. I'm about to try on windows.

PS: Maybe it's a matter of SP2 and not the operating system. I’m testing

PS2: it’s a regression from SP1. Tested on monterey, win11 and Ventura @Stephan Moenninghoff can we talk with someone?

PS2: VB-192280 created

Edited by zeno
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

Wast thinking about upgrading sooner than usual, and just read about an issue with a USB-C to DP external display connection. Is anyone here connecting their 4K monitor that way? Any issues with full screen native resolution or otherwise?

Hello.

What do you mean by DP? I have a 43 and I have no problems

• 1 month later...

Hi, I ask for your help, I have the following problem, I purchased a MacBook Pro computer with an M2 processor, OS Ventura and installed VectorWorks 2023.   Copy several works files to a USB device  that I have done in VectorWorks 2021, 2022 and 2023 in Windows 10 and 11 and when I connect the USB to the MacBook several of the files are not displayed so I cannot copy them to this computer.  I do not understand why some files are displayed and can be copied and others are not displayed and cannot be copied, do you have any idea why this happens with the VectorWorks files?

9 hours ago, Edgar I Arana J said:

Hi, I ask for your help, I have the following problem, I purchased a MacBook Pro computer with an M2 processor, OS Ventura and installed VectorWorks 2023.   Copy several works files to a USB device  that I have done in VectorWorks 2021, 2022 and 2023 in Windows 10 and 11 and when I connect the USB to the MacBook several of the files are not displayed so I cannot copy them to this computer.  I do not understand why some files are displayed and can be copied and others are not displayed and cannot be copied, do you have any idea why this happens with the VectorWorks files?

Hi Edgar,

I would be careful on the way you use USBs between Windows and MacOS, Windows is moving from NTFS to another system and MacOS has usually the FAT32 system, if you ensure the USB is using only FAT32 you shouldn't have issues but this means that files bigger than 4gb will be problematic. 

Although in relation to your files, I can't say I would verify the USB stick on another laptop to check if everything is there as Pat said above, and when unplugging from the Mac ensure you use the "Exit" feature to disconnect the USB stick as this might create problems in the USB.

hace 15 horas, Pat Stanford dijo:

Are the files on the USB drive when you connect it back to the Windows machine? Or to a different Mac? If not, it is possible that the files did not get copied to the drive.

If they do show on a different machine are the file sizes correct?

The files I copy from the Windows computer to a USB I remove the device following the proper procedure and connect it to the Macbook computer, when the computer recognizes the device I proceed to view the contents of the device and this is when several of the files are not listed along with the other files that are listed.

hace 9 horas, FBernardo dijo:

Hi Edgar,

I would be careful on the way you use USBs between Windows and MacOS, Windows is moving from NTFS to another system and MacOS has usually the FAT32 system, if you ensure the USB is using only FAT32 you shouldn't have issues but this means that files bigger than 4gb will be problematic. 

Although in relation to your files, I can't say I would verify the USB stick on another laptop to check if everything is there as Pat said above, and when unplugging from the Mac ensure you use the "Exit" feature to disconnect the USB stick as this might create problems in the USB.

The USB stick is formatted FAT32 and the files I can't see on Macbook computer are less than 1 gb.  The removal of the USB from the MacBook I do with the procedure indicated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Edgar I Arana J said:

The USB stick is formatted FAT32 and the files I can't see on Macbook computer are less than 1 gb.  The removal of the USB from the MacBook I do with the procedure indicated.

Would it be possible to test out in a different machine with Windows before going to the macOS to see if the files are there ?

hace 4 horas, FBernardo dijo:

Would it be possible to test out in a different machine with Windows before going to the macOS to see if the files are there ?

On another Windows computer all files contained in the usb if they can be viewed without any problem.  On the MacBook is where only some files are displayed and others are not seen.  Format a usb on xFat-formatted MacBook computer and move the usb to Windows computer and copy the files to and then plug the usb into the MacBook and the same does not display all files only a few.

14 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Sounds like an Apple problem, not a Vectorworks problem.

Have you tried with any other types of files besides vwx? If you load the drive up with PDFs do they all show on the Mac?

Agreed.  It almost sounds like an old school hard drive indexing problem.  Or the beginnings of a very bad day.

unrelated… A firm I was working with last year actually had a high end RAID array fail due to incompatibility between the M1 processor and SoftRAID running in certain modes.  Point being you never know why these problems happen until it is too late.

• Like 1
En 15/2/2023 a las 22:45, Pat Stanford dijo:

Sounds like an Apple problem, not a Vectorworks problem.

Have you tried with any other types of files besides vwx? If you load the drive up with PDFs do they all show on the Mac?

Test on another Apple computer and the same thing happens, the files are not seen, so the problem is on the Vectorworks not on Apple.  I have versions 2021, 2022 and 2023

So let's start from the top.

1.  You put files onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive on a Windows 10 or 11 machine.  Question - How did you do this? Windows Explorer or save from VW?

2. Have you tried to access the USB drive on a different Windows machine? Question - Are all the files seem on Windows?

3. You put the USB drive in a Mac and don't see all the files.  Question - How are you doing this Finder? Or trying to open in VW?

4. You tried on a second Mac. Questions - Did you see the same result on the second Mac? Same files missing? Or is everything seen?

Suggestions:

1. Try a different USB Drive.

2. Use Windows Explorer to store the files on the USB drive.

3. Use Finder to copy the files off the USB drive onto the local disk.

• Like 1
En 21/2/2023 a las 18:28, Pat Stanford dijo:

1.  You put files onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive on a Windows 10 or 11 machine.  Question - How did you do this? Windows Explorer or save from VW?

2. Have you tried to access the USB drive on a different Windows machine? Question - Are all the files seem on Windows?

3. You put the USB drive in a Mac and don't see all the files.  Question - How are you doing this Finder? Or trying to open in VW?

4. You tried on a second Mac. Questions - Did you see the same result on the second Mac? Same files missing? Or is everything seen?

1. I have put the files in USB formatted with Fat32 and ExFat and formatted them with windows explorer.  I use Windows 11.

2. I have put the USB on different computers with Windows 10 and 11 and in all you see the files.

3. When you put the USB on Mac not all files are seen.  Out of 33, only 18 are seen.  I visualize them with Finder and I have also tried with VW as they are not seen.  On Mac I installed Windows 11 and I wanted to view them from Windows Explorer and you can not see them all either.

4. I put the USB on another Mac (IMac 2010) and the result is the same only some files are seen and others not.

I appreciate your interest.  The VW versions I have are licensed

Since the files don't show in the finder on multiple Macs that tell me that it is an Apple (or Microsoft) problem, not a Vectorworks problem. If the Finder can't see them, there is no way that Vectorworks will be able to see them as Vectorworks uses the same function calls as the Finder to access files.

Is there anything similar about the files that are not showing? Are they all big? or small?

Actually it just occurred to me that it is probably a file naming problem.  Try and rename the files with no special characters. Use ONLY A-Z, a-z, 0-9, dash (-) and underscore (_).  Those characters are definitely compatible across both operating systems.  If you have other characters with diacritical marks or slashes, colons, backslashes, $, %, ^, & #,@ those could all possibly be problems.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • JuanP unpinned this topic