Apple macOS 13 Ventura Compatibility - Feedback

57 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I do not really expect the larger "Big Sur" issues again, like with Mojave  .... but who knows ....

Monterey seems like a more refined version of Bug Sir (and fixed some bugs that, at this point, will never get fixed).

My favorite part of the 2022 WWDC keynote was every time a presenter said, "We took the top 3 requested features... "

• Like 1

Catalina took away 32 Bit Apps,

Big Sur even ancient KEXTs.

which was impacting even more for my ancient Apps.

But soon I realized I can live without them too 🙂

Venture seems to just have new features that will not run anymore on older hardware

and such for any reason, but not looking like taking away older standards .... (?)

We will see what other side effects Ventura will finally have nevertheless ...

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, zoomer said:

I think there are (similar?) issues on both with Ventura.

Not sure if it is just a VW bug or really final Ventura or latest Public Betas of Ventura.

At least I was not used for quite some time to temporarily freeze VW beach balling

that often.

Have you had any major issues with Ventura ? I can upgrade on my personal machine and try it out, but in terms of compatibility is it out of the box compatible and working both VW 2022 and VW2023 right?

36 minutes ago, MarkHorner said:

I have an Issue with Ventura and VW2020, I keep getting a repeated pop-up message: Vectorworks 2020.app is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Bin.

So far it is annoying, but VW seems to work if you keep pressing Cancel.

Seems to be solved by allowing Full Disk Access in Ventura Preferences.

One known problem with VW2023 and Ventura is a very long delay (~1 minute) the first time you do any RW or Redshift rendering.  From my understanding, this will be fixed for RW with the next service pack. For Redshift it will require an update of Cinema 4D. Hopefully also in time for the next service pack, but not guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

One known problem with VW2023 and Ventura is a very long delay (~1 minute) the first time you do any RW or Redshift rendering.  From my understanding, this will be fixed for RW with the next service pack. For Redshift it will require an update of Cinema 4D. Hopefully also in time for the next service pack, but not guaranteed.

For what it's worth Redshift does the same thing in Cinema 4D,   takes several minutes to compile shaders the first time.  (with Ventura).    I didn't previously do this.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, FBernardo said:

Have you had any major issues with Ventura ?

I still have some occasional unexpected lags and beach balling.

But so far it went away every time after I let VW rest in the Background for some minutes.

So no real need to kill VW and no more being able to save - just waiting ....

14 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I will try and test this with one of the sample models, any specific render quality or happens in all of them?

If anyone wants to add any testing for me to do, post it here.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
14 minutes ago, Kees W said:

That description of the issue isn't very clear to me. Does this RenderWorks issue occur only when you also have Redshift installed, or also with just VectorWorks on the machine?

Hello @Kees W Redshift is included with Vectorworks and is used when rendering in Redshift or in Renderworks render modes, which is often.  The first time this is done there is long pause (can be minutes).  After that the application works normally.  It happens again with every new Vectorworks session, it doesn't go away with new sessions.

21 minutes ago, Dave Donley said:

Hello @Kees W Redshift is included with Vectorworks and is used when rendering in Redshift or in Renderworks render modes, which is often.  The first time this is done there is long pause (can be minutes).  After that the application works normally.  It happens again with every new Vectorworks session, it doesn't go away with new sessions.

Just started VWX '23 from disk, opened file to sheet layer, hit render to initiate a slightly modified redshift preview render. From click, it took approx 1 min 23 secs to initiate the actual render.

23 hours ago, Kees W said:

That description of the issue isn't very clear to me. Does this RenderWorks issue occur only when you also have Redshift installed, or also with just VectorWorks on the machine?

Whenever Redshift is asked to render something,  it has to compile some base shaders before it can start rendering,   on previous OS versions there were some "pre-compiled" shader libraries that reduced the amount of shaders requiring compilation and thus let you get rendering much faster.    As of yet,  these pre-compiled shader libraries don't exist for Ventura,  so it has to compile them each time thus triggering a delay.

As I mentioned earlier,  this is also the case when rendering directly in Cinema 4D on Ventura.   So Vectorworks isn't the only software affected by this.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

Whenever Redshift is asked to render something,  it has to compile some base shaders before it can start rendering,   on previous OS versions there were some "pre-compiled" shader libraries that reduced the amount of shaders requiring compilation and thus let you get rendering much faster.    As of yet,  these pre-compiled shader libraries don't exist for Ventura,  so it has to compile them each time thus triggering a delay.

As I mentioned earlier,  this is also the case when rendering directly in Cinema 4D on Ventura.   So Vectorworks isn't the only software affected by this.

Exactly right @Wesley Burrows

This delay happens once each session and then things operate normally thereafter.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, billtheia said:

Does it happen with non-redshift rendtrworks renders?  Is it also a problem in VW2022?

Hello @billtheia Yes, this happens even if you are not explicitly choosing Redshift render styles.  Happens each session, application works normally thereafter.  VW2022 does not have this issue.

• JuanP unpinned this topic