viewing multiple QD3D layers

You need to create a layer link to combine your 3-D layers. What we do is make a new layer (called the Model Layer or something) and link all of our 3-D layers into it. The layer link command is in the view menu, and there is decent documentation in the VW book.

Good Luck

I see your difficulty. Have you ever considered setting up your sheets in Photoshop and only using VW to generate the individual graphics. Thats basically what I do and It works really well, I simply export each view as an image and then reassemble everything in Photoshop. Although to be completely honest you can get into alot of trouble with large photoshop files doing this.

Anyway Good Luck

Mike et al,

I'm quite familliar with layer links. In fact it was in a file with multiple layer links that I discovered the masking phenomenon. Here's the situation: a table is modeled on two layers, the base on one, the top on another. I want a sheet showing both the complete table and just the base. I set up two layers for the purpose of linking, one links both the top and base, one just the base. By making only these two layers visible, adjusting the scale and unlocking/moving the links I can show both models simultaneously. This works just fine when rendered solid, or when only the bottom layer is raster rendered. But raster render both and only the top (as set in the Layers dialog) is visible. It seems that raster rendering paints a white background even where there are no objects, thus obscuring any visible layers below. Since you cannot link a link, I am hoping there is another solution. Thanks.

Regards,

Geoff

• 7 months later...

I know that this is a few months down the line, for which I apologise, but having spent a day fretting over just this problem (I''ve only just stated playing around with advanced rendering techniques) I have come up with a couple of answers.

Firstly, try using the Render Bitmap tool to render only the portions of the layers that need to be rendered (you can set the raster resolution via the preferences button). For each layer, only the area covered by the bitmap will be "masked". You can then "see" the layer(s) stacked below when you set the Layer Options to View Others.

I've just used this technique to set up a drawing that includes all the plans, sections and elevations of a house, with each of the elevations set up as its own linked layer, and each with its own orientation-specific lighting scheme.

Secondly, the problem can be avoided if you can work in Perspective projection, since only the area within the perspective frame is rendered, not the whole area of the page.

Hope these tips are of help.

Regards,

Chris Garrand

• 4 weeks later...

Further to my last words on this subject ......... another point to be aware of is the fact that VW now uses transparent bitmaps (i.e. set the fill for the bitmap to 'none' and areas that are white become transparent). This is a great feature and allows you to view objects with other objects behind (e.g. landscape behind a building), whether in the same layer or not. Works like a dream with the Bitmap Render tool.

However, if you are printing to a PostScript plotter or printer, you do have to remember to check the PS savvy bitmaps box under the VW print dialogue options (I believe that there's a VW technical note on the subject somewhere else on this site).

One more point here is that you can create multiple layer link objects on a single layer. Also, it's possible to unlock and then move and rotate layer links. So, in this case, you could always make a link to just the layer with the base, and make another link to the layers with the base and the table top. Unlock these and arrange them as you like on the sheet, and then render just that layer. This should give the results you're looking for.