Open new VW file in older version

Vectorworks 2013 on Windows 10

I downloaded a package of VW hatches from JRA online. But the file won't open, and I got this error message : "this is an unrecognized file . . . . it may be a newer version of VW". I have contacted JRA to get a file compatible with VW 2013. But if that fails, can someone on the Community Board export the file to 2013 version for me? I'm crunched for time. Thanks.

This is physically not possible .... ahm more software wise.

As each new file version gets new features which the older VW version

can't understand.

You will always need to "export" to an older VW format from your current

VW to make the file understandable for the older target VW.

So generally, people who still use only olderVW Versions but get newer VW

files from customers for collaboration or such

(or Autocad only users  that get send VW files and do not have access)

just upload the VW files here on the Forum and usually someone will

translate or export the file for you in the desired VW version or DWG.

But as it is a Source and property from JRA,

you may better send him an email and ask if he could provide you with

that lower version of VW file.

Zoomer

Thanks for the response. JRA replied to my email, and said the same : "VW 2022 can only export back 5 versions". But maybe VW 2018 could export back to 2013.

I'm retired, and not likely to invest in a new subscription. 2013 was one of the last versions before annual subscriptions became obligatory. I found a good ACAD pattern online, but it wouldn't import into VW. Maybe for the same "old version" reason. I also had an ACAD user to send me the same pattern, but it turned-out to be a different hatch. I would try to make a hatch in VW, but these shingles have irregular spacing, which is specifically what I'm looking for. Blocked at every turn.

I may try to add the JRA file my hatch library, and see what happens. (Ed. no go) It has a PDF file with images of the hatches, so I can see the one I want. Image attached.

Can you think of another way to make the collection of hatches usable in VW2013?

Irregular shingle hatch.JPG

Edited by JHEarcht3
1 hour ago, JHEarcht3 said:

Zoomer

Thanks for the response. JRA replied to my email, and said the same : "VW 2022 can only export back 5 versions". But maybe VW 2018 could export back to 2013.

I'm retired, and not likely to invest in a new subscription. 2013 was one of the last versions before annual subscriptions became obligatory. I found a good ACAD pattern online, but it wouldn't import into VW. Maybe for the same "old version" reason. I also had an ACAD user to send me the same pattern, but it turned-out to be a different hatch. I would try to make a hatch in VW, but these shingles have irregular spacing, which is specifically what I'm looking for. Blocked at every turn.

I may try to add the JRA file my hatch library, and see what happens. (Ed. no go) It has a PDF file with images of the hatches, so I can see the one I want. Image attached.

Can you think of another way to make the collection of hatches usable in VW2013?

1 hour ago, JHEarcht3 said:

Zoomer

Well if you can get someone to get a 2018 version I could save backwards. Crazy we are forced to do this - it's predatory software and this is essentially just a data pack, should be like swapping a font or shp file.