Renderworks..Saving an image

You use the export image file command in the file menu. Also you need to have the latest version of Quick Time, you can get the Mac and PC versions from the apple web site.

the general process is to set up your view, Render it on screen then go to the export image file command and follow the dialogue.

A second way is to use the render bit map tool. Although if your image is large or complex you will have to render it in pieces and past it into Photoshop (or equal) to put it back together.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

If your having trouble achieving a resolution higher than 72 DPI using the "export image" command on a Mac, well that's because it's still a broken function. It was claimed to be fixed, but I guess no one really tested it. When I called to ask why I still couldn't get it to work, they were a bit surprised, but they did confirm it's still broken.

Keep in mind if you increase your resolution to 300 dpi you are not getting a higher resolution image, you are getting the same number of pixels in a smaller physical area when printed. The two numbers at the top left of the export dialogue box are the size of the exported image in pixels. If you dont increase the number of pixels you aren't getting any more information by increasing the dpi, you are expressing the same information in less physical space when printed.

say you have an image that is 1000 x 1000 pixels. at 100 dpi it is 10" x 10", at 200 dpi it is 5" x 5". I've also found that increaseing the pixel size in the export dialogue dosen't work(usually causes a crash on mac and pc), you have to increase the size of your perspective marque so the image in physically larger in the file.

I hope this makes sense, It's not explained anywhere in the VW or RW documentation, but it is critical to understand if you want really high resolution images.

Good Luck

Ill try to increase the pixel dimension again, its been awhile since I tried it last. Does anyone know if there is a max # of pixels you can export, I posted this earlier but got no response, it seems to be around 6 million. I know if I get the pixel dimension too high when I hit "OK" in the export dialogue, the screen kind of blinks and the image is exported instsantly as all black(no picture).

Just thought I'd ask again

The procedure is described in detail and specificity in Janis Kent's book, the WorksManual 8.5.

I've exported many many images, at multiple resolutions with no crashes at all. Just to make sure, I just tried it again, doubling the number of pixels in the dialog box, increasing the resolution from 72dpi to 600, and adjusting the export resolution in the Raster Render preferences box to 600dpi. The image (in JPEG format) exported perfectly, with no crash.

Make sure you have enough RAM and the latest version of Quicktime; I believe one or two versions ago there were documented export problems.

Dan J.

• 1 month later...