Reflective Pool

This question was e-mailed to me in regard to the rendered image at the top of the RenderWorks Tutorial: ?New Ways to Create Reflective Effects? found in the current release of the DISPATCH online:

http://www.diehlgraphsoft.com/news/thedispatch/reflective/index.html

"How did you make the texture used for the water in the top image of the dispatch article. It looks fairly convincing and I've had trouble creating a realistic water texture? Thanks for Your time."

I thought it was a very good question, so I posted here along with my answer:

Good question. I actually can not take full credit for that particular image. The designer, who's name is very irresponsibly escaping me right now, sent this to me via e-mail. The texture that he/she used to create the water was too green for me so I changed it to what you see in the article.

The way we did it was to create 2 3D objects, one on the top and an identical one under it. The extrude on the surface was given the water shader. The extrude below was given the shiny blue cloud shader. I had to adjust the scale of the cloud shader to get the diffusion just right, but as you can see, the result is fairly realistic.

I've placed two jpgs online to help me illustrate the process. I apologize for any download woes. They are about 210k total.

http://www.diehlgraphsoft.com/delete_after_6_5_00/index.html

------------------

-- Michael Pacylowski --

They were both rectangular extrusions. The "shiny blue cloud" extrusion was touching the bottom of the "water" extrusion, and went down a short distance to the bottom of the pool. The pool was really only a foot or so deep.

------------------

-- Michael Pacylowski --

The pool does have a bottom to it. In retrospect, making it a true hole may have been a good way to back light the water, making the pool look lit from within.

------------------

-- Michael Pacylowski --