Set Layer Ambient command

What is the interactive effect (if any) of different values/parameters of the ambient lighting for individual layers within a linked layer.

Does that question make sense?

Let me rephrase for clarity. Say I have a layer link that includes walls, roof, ceiling, floor, etc. Does providing different settings within each one of those layers that are linked have any effect on the final rendering of the linked layer, or does the ambient light setting for the linked layer override all of the other settings?

Hope you understand what I'm getting at. I'd like to hear from Paz on this one, if possible, and thanks in advance for your response.

Jack Fulmer

The ambient light setting for the layer link does override all other layer ambient settings. If you are using a layer link to render your final model, the individual ambient light settings will be ignored, and the linked layer's value will be used when rendering.

Is this good, bad, or just good to know?

------------------

-- Michael Pacylowski --

Originally posted by Jack Fulmer:

FYI, just upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional, and the speed of the rendering process seems to be greatly increased over Win98SE, without any crashes or apparant bugs (as of yet). BTW - Running on a 600MHz PIII with 256RAM.

...my experience too. VW runs faster

and MORE stable with w2k than with

Win98.

I really like it.

... and Vectorworks /Renderworks - of course!

Hannes

Yes, it is VERY good to know. Until this revelation, I would noodle around with the ambient light settings for each layer, then render to see the result. That, as you know, is a rather time consuming processs.

I don't see any reason why it is bad, or at least I haven't run into or can think of any need for the individual linked layers to have their own ambient light settings within a rendered layer link.

So, thank you for the response - I appreciate it.

FYI, just upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional, and the speed of the rendering process seems to be greatly increased over Win98SE, without any crashes or apparant bugs (as of yet). BTW - Running on a 600MHz PIII with 256RAM.

Thanks again.

Jack Fulmer