"This symbol is using a bound story that does not exist" Vectorworks 2022

MHBrown

Question

10 answers to this question

It is a bug because the language makes no sense. As far as I know, all it is trying to say is that the class that it is going into does not exist. So what? The class is brought into existence as soon as the symbol is inserted. At least that is how it should work. At a minimum, the language should read something like "The symbol you are inserting is in a class that does not yet exist in your drawing."

Mike

I get a red box in the lower right hand corner saying "This symbol is using a Story Bound that doesn't exist".

As soon as I click on the drawing, the object disappears and the resource browser windowshades closed.

It happens on a number of different items.

Is this a subscription issue? or why am I not able to use these resources?

On 6/12/2022 at 2:33 PM, MHBrown said:

I, for one, have no idea what "story aware" means.

It has to do with the Stories feature, so the message does make sense.  It lets the user know that the symbol will set its insertion elevation to a predefined Level within the Story.  If you don't use Stories you can ignore it.  You can find the Story & Level settings in the Organization window.  I don't use Stories so mine is blank.

Organization->Stories.png

@Brando be easier to diagnose if you post a screen recording of what's happening. Not entirely sure what 'As soon as I click on the drawing, the object disappears and the resource browser windowshades closed' means. Disappearing objects could be related to class visibility so make sure all your classes are turned on but equally you could be describing something completely different. The 'This symbol is using a Story Bound that doesn't exist' alert is just for info + like @E|FA says has no bearing on your ability to insert a symbol so I think we can rule this out.