Dimensions Text is cutting off

Darin K

Question

Hello. I'm brand new to Vectorworks and working my way through the tutorials. I just completed the "Baseball Diamond" tutorial, and have run into a small problem.

When adding a dimension to my Detailed Viewport, the text for my dimensions is being cut off. (See below). I have imported the Mr Hand font. The horizontal dimension is fine, but the vertical dimension is sliced in half. Changing the font size doesn't fix the issue.

Is there a way to expand that text box? All I can seem to do is reposition it (I get the diagonal arrow cursor, but it moves, doesn't resize)

Thanks

VW.jpg

9 answers to this question

It does look nice, doesn't it? 😄

I can't guarantee any of the following will be without issues, but I've heard of other folks using:

-Architect's Daughter

-drafter

-Flux architect

-Frank the architect

-Graphite

I've personally moved away from trying to make computer lettering look like hand lettering. It's never as beautiful as the real thing, and in fact these types of fonts are often less readable than 'regular' fonts. The very first goal of all drafting is communication, and everything should be in service of that.

That being said, aesthetics are of course important too, and there's nothing wrong with going this route. Some of these hand fonts work better than others on the page, so try them out and see what you like.

Indeed there are many other lessons to be learned from hand-drafting beyond lettering which can greatly increase the aesthetics and communicability of CAD drafting. I wish hand drafting were still a part of all design school curricula but sadly it's mostly gone the way of the dinosaurs.