tunnels in a dtm?

jnr

Working on a bridge project and need to cut into a DTM for tunnels leading to the bridge. Can bulldoze the path to the bridge with a site modifier and a fence, but then I suppose there's a cap to park on top of the pad to put the contours back on top of the hole.  Any ideas how to pull this off? Pat? Do you copy and make a mini DTM using contour info for the part of modified? Seems like it would bloat the file?

thoughts?

Definitely going to be work arounds.  The DTM can not (currently) handle "undercut" surfaces. And as of 2022, I am not certain it can handle exactly vertical faces.

Best option I can think of would be to to whatever you need to to the "exterior" of the DTM and then duplicate it. Cut both copies keeping the top of one and the bottom of the other. Dig your tunnel into the bottom and turn them both on.

Hopefully someone with a lot more DTM experience than I do can offer better suggestions.

Do you actually need to cut sections showing the tunnel? If not could you fake it by using an image and texture of the entrance on a flat plane. Or even just run an extrude through the DTM to simulate the tunnel?

On 6/10/2022 at 11:45 AM, Tom W. said:

Yes you can create a duplicate DTM to backfill over the top of the tunnel see:

I did not make this tunnel using a duplicate DTM. I ended up using one DTM, a tunnel structure that goes in and back out of it on the other side, and a polygon inside the tunnel on this side (from a tip on the forum) to fake the look of a tunnel opening. (final product not shown).

On 6/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, jnr said:

Pat + Tom:

Thanks for the pointers. the idea of faking it sounds even better. modifier to make the entrance and either an extrusion or an image will be quicker. Its for a conference and is really for concept. 

That's what I did. It was sufficient for my needs at the time. See my reply to Tom W.