3D Layout - Connect the same Device to multiple Drop Points (Signal and Power)

For example, is it possible to connect a TV to a signal Drop Point and also a electrical (Duplex) Drop Point?

For context, the signal Drop Point will most likely be a hole in the wall that SDI runs through; the electrical Drop Point will be a Duplex that the sub (contractor) has already installed in a different place. Likewise, the signal cable path runs at a different elevation back to the Rack. Meanwhile the electrical cable path is conduit running back to the breaker panel.

I haven't started any electrical stuff on the Schematic layer yet but this is what it should look like when I'm done. Also, how do I increase the text size of the Device label? There's a huge CP next to a tiny TV 1 :

1251267264_ScreenShot2022-06-08at3_33_45PM.thumb.png.eebcf613031b52ba036aa8028d67fcd8.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Mark Aceto,

Currently equipment items can be connected to a single drop point only. Maybe you can connect the two drop points together with a cable path and get closest to the desired result? The other way to go might be to have another drop point for the TV and connect it to the other two with cable paths?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Mark

Wow. I'm having a tricky time matching up what you're doing with what Cable Path Planning was designed to do. But all good insights.

So here you have two separate networks of cable paths (signal and power) and you want to show the TV connecting to both. For the particular job you describe the electrical network is already in place - right? So you aren't going to be planning that at all - correct? So all you actually need to do is draw a wiggly line from the TV to the power outlet just in case some installer dude is soooo dumb that he doesn't know to plug in a power cord.

On a theoretical level however you do raise an interesting question. As you point out there are cases where we might connect an equipment item to multiple drop points. I need to think it through and check for unintended consequences but on the face of it that sounds do-able.

Thanks for sharing!

As far as the size of the TV text is concerned - obviously you can't have larger text AND keep it within the bounds of the object. So what are the options? In the Equipment OIP you can set the text to display above the object and then increase the font size using the Text > Size menu with the object selected. Or you can choose not the display the text at all and  use a Data Tag linked to the Equipment.Name parameter to display the name in any way you prefer.

Hope I've helped out here.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

So here you have two separate networks of cable paths (signal and power) and you want to show the TV connecting to both. For the particular job you describe the electrical network is already in place - right? So you aren't going to be planning that at all - correct? So all you actually need to do is draw a wiggly line from the TV to the power outlet just in case some installer dude is soooo dumb that he doesn't know to plug in a power cord.

Yes, and:

• This example was the easiest screenshot to communicate what I hope to accomplish. However, there are more complex power runs in the air that run along truss, cable trays, etc.
  • Because this "show" is a permanent install, there's no temporary power distro. It's all 110v. I have an electrical receptacle schedule from the GC, and need to ensure that we don't overload any circuits. When I've done shows like this in the past, it's been very trial and error, and we had to play "musical chairs". Therefore, my hope is to create a power (circuit) schedule for all of the equipment, showing how much load we're putting each circuit.
  • I was planning on adding an IEC cable / connector to each device
    • My assumption (from another thread here in the forum) was to create a Connector Panel for the Receptacles
    • Multiple Devices / Equipment items would, in some instances, plug into a single Receptacle (as many as 4 in a Quad)
    • Multiple Duplexes would share an electrical circuit (breaker)
    • The circuit breaker panel would be the rack
  • The thing I really care about is the power load on each circuit, so it seems like the existing Cable Path / planning tools could do it if they weren't limited to a single Drop Point
  • I know I could use the Power Planning tools but I really just want to use a single cable tool, and create a worksheet to calc the loads on a circuit schedule

As far as the size of the TV text is concerned - obviously you can't have larger text AND keep it within the bounds of the object. So what are the options? In the Equipment OIP you can set the text to display above the object and then increase the font size using the Text > Size menu with the object selected.

The text size stays the same when it's Above. Is it possible to adjust the text size of that field anywhere? For context, the dimension text size in the screenshot is 10pt :

1157663898_ScreenShot2022-06-09at8_55_17AM.thumb.png.69b5fd31f6ce7ec890668910158ee70a.png

Or you can choose not the display the text at all and  use a Data Tag linked to the Equipment.Name parameter to display the name in any way you prefer.

That's a great workaround, and I love that Equipment.Name isn't limited to just video screens, so I can make one Data Tag to rule them all.

BTW I'm really liking the CCAD generated equipment items for TV screens – especially when my client has a bunch of different makes, models, sizes... 

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

New gig, similar challenge... 

I have 16 inputs going into a router (half are backups), and 8 outputs coming out of it. Drawing the schematic view is super simple. Not sure how to accomplish this in 3D with a cable path.

I'm also not sure if the Router device needs to be something special (like a CTP_) to work with the 3D model / cable path. Sorry, I'm sure this stuff is super basic for most CC users. The media servers and the router are in the same rack, so maybe CC just magically figures it all out?

For clarification, there are no adapters in the signal flow:

1. Media server
  2. HDMI
  3. Router
  4. HDMI
  5. Projector

1873537331_ScreenShot2022-07-25at8_12_17PM.thumb.png.c423e1344a9a660a2c80e1da599b7e5c.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Hello @Mark Aceto,

2 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

The media servers and the router are in the same rack, so maybe CC just magically figures it all out?

- If the devices are in the same rack then there is no need for cable path to figure out their physical length. In this case we use the input from the Calculate Cable Lengths dialog and calculate the in rack cable length between the devices.

Let me know if this is getting the job done.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2