Building model vs xref model

LeeElston

Question

I have a building model which appears fine, but when I xref the file into the site model, one particular wall and the windows in it, change... The windows vanish and the top of the wall loses its slope. I have checked there are no duplicate elements, and the windows are in the wall according to the OIP. If I pull the window out of the wall it appears , so it seems it just isn't recognising the 'window in wall' part, and not cutting the opening in the wall correctly, but only when xref'd... Is this something I am doing wrong or a technical glitch that needs addressing?

building model 1.png

building model  x ref into site model.png

building model  x ref into site model window moved.png

7 answers to this question

Are you using a referenced DLVP or Layer Import Referencing? I have had various problems with the former method + a bug has been identified. My issues have mainly been to do with Roofs + the way they interact with Walls but it doesn't look like that's applicable in your case...

Is all the geometry other than the round wall fine? I've never used a round wall so have had no experience but perhaps as well as Roofs, Referenced DLVPs don't like round walls either...

As per that other thread I moved over to using Layer Import Referencing instead which I found much more reliable. And I actually prefer the layer/class organisation/control you have with it.

Maybe you should try referencing the building into your site model file this way + see how it behaves then

Im not testing this, only speculating. Is there a naming conflict involved? Eg do both the dlvp source file (the house) and the target file (the site) have a same named class or symbol? eg some window component? Vwx would not have unique definition of visibility or attributes for that class. DLVP version requires one status, the target file another status.

or were the windows or curved wall flipped and that doesn’t register correctly in the DLVP? Bottom image show a window in the side wall and another standing on the ground in front of the curved wall. 

no clue about that top of wall. 

-B

Also: did the windows appear initially but subsequently disappear, or were they missing from the get-go? Are they missing in Top/Plan as well or just 3D?

I often have doors/windows that appear fine in Top/Plan (in referenced buildings) then when I change to a 3D view I have a shock as they're suddenly missing. But if I update the reference they generally come back. Well it's not that they're missing: they are still there it's just the wall is no longer clipping a hole for them. Updating brings the hole back...