Creating a georeferenced drawing, please help.

Hi, I am having trouble creating a georeferenced drawing.

I open a new file, set the document geo reference - nad83 texas central 2277

geolocate the internal origin to somewhere close to my site (30.094320849637185, -98.40758238284789)

import survey cad with georeferenced information checked 

turn on the layer geo reference switch

I turn on the geo image and everything lines up. But when I export geo image (jpg+jpw) to Avenza, it says the file is not geo referenced, then I exported it to civil 3d, the civil 3d geo map doesn't line up. I don't know where the problem is. Is there a way to make sure the drawing is correctly georeferenced? And how to export a usable geo image file? I have no clue. My file and the survey file are attached below, super grateful if someone can help me trouble shoot. Many thanks,

test file.vwx Survey Base.dwg

Your file appears to be georeferenced correctly.  The user origin in VWX corresponds to the dwg's origin, which makes it import into AutoCAD correctly.

In terms of Avenza, I haven't used it in a long time.  I recall .jpgs require the .jpw and a projection file all packaged in a zip file to work correctly.  Or maybe that was the geotiff workflow when dealing with software that uses a sidecar file instead of embedding it in the header of the .tiff.  I do not know what the problem is, but I suspect the blame lies with Vectorworks.  You can test this by opening the georeferenced image in ArcGIS or QGIS to see if it is positioned correctly.  You will likely need to save your projection file by looking up ESPG 2277 and copying the WKT to a suitable sidecar file.

Maybe @unearthed can offer some assistance, he is one of the resident GIS experts and QGIS advocates.

1 hour ago, jeff prince said:

Your file appears to be georeferenced correctly.  The user origin in VWX corresponds to the dwg's origin, which makes it import into AutoCAD correctly.

In terms of Avenza, I haven't used it in a long time.  I recall .jpgs require the .jpw and a projection file all packaged in a zip file to work correctly.  Or maybe that was the geotiff workflow when dealing with software that uses a sidecar file instead of embedding it in the header of the .tiff.  I do not know what the problem is, but I suspect the blame lies with Vectorworks.  You can test this by opening the georeferenced image in ArcGIS or QGIS to see if it is positioned correctly.  You will likely need to save your projection file by looking up ESPG 2277 and copying the WKT to a suitable sidecar file.

Maybe @unearthed can offer some assistance, he is one of the resident GIS experts and QGIS advocates.

Hi Jeff, yes I tested both jpw/jpg & QGIS using the VW exported geo image file and they both failed. One thing I noticed is the CAD survey file, althongh the XY coordinates stays the same, but after impoting & exporting through VW, it's no longer aligned with CAD geomap. Thank you for your help anyways. 

• Like 1