Set 3d View

payne

I have two almost identical vw12 files - one is actually a 'save as' of the other with a few extra walls & windows etc, but i am finding that they both react differently to the set 3d view tool and i can't work out why.

the 'save as' file works just as i would expect. i double click on the viewport, select crop and then set a 3d view - and i get a reasonable perspective view of the building.

however, when i try to do this on the same viewport in the original file all i get is 3 or 4 lines which appear to be a very, very zoomed in view of my building, in a viewport that has shrink to 1cm square. i try to zoom out of the view using the translate view tool but this has no effect.

i have also noticed this in other files and i can't seem to find a pattern between those it works with and those it doesn't. i mention the above example because it seems strange that these two are practically identical files and yet both react differently to the set 3d tool.

The scale of the viewport, according to the object info, is 1:100 which is the same as the 'save as'. I should also mention that when i choose either current setting or orthogonal I do get a 3d view (although not the one I'm after) and it is only when i select narrow, normal or wide that i get the problem.

also, since having this problem I have begun playing around with the camera tool but I can only set views in the design layers and can't work out how I get them into a viewport - is this possible?