rendering with hatches

I need to do a rendering, and I like the hand drawn quality that I get using hidden line with the line options set to sketch. It looks great on flat elevations with hatches for brick and roof tiles, however I am trying to replicate this look in a 3D view, I know I can just render it with textures, but I prefer the look of the hatches. I assign hatches to the 3D element (roof,wall etc..) but when it is rendered in hidden line I just get untextured/hatched planes. I have tried to lay 2D polygons over the view, but the hatches don't orient to the perspective. I guess the problem is that hatches are strictly 2D, but does anyone know of any other way to acheive this look. I also tried 3D polygons, but was unable to get that to work either.

Thanks,

Jase

Jase,

This is is more a Renderworks question than Architect. . . but the answer is to create a new texture from your hatch. There was another thread a while back with this "tutorial" included, but I couldn't seem to find it. Here's the process:

1) In a blank RW file, create a polygon (I nearly always use a 4:3 rectangle). Set Attributes to no line, desired hatch fill.

2) Export as Image File. (I generally use .jpg, but there are reasons to use other file types for different results. Study the Renderworks board.)

3) Import the Image File into a new Texture (via the Resources Browser). Adjust settings as desired (color, opacity, etc.)

4) Apply this Texture to your object(s).

We use this technique quite a bit and have a number of Concept Styles with their attrubutes set to have the "same" hatch and texture.

Good luck,

I was able to get the hatch imported as a texture, however this still requires me to use one of the renderworks rendering modes, when I really want to use a hidden line with sketch, or shaded polygons, and by putting the hatch in as a texture, I still get untextured/unhatched planes.

As far as using image fills, and pardon my ignorance, I am a new VW user, but in every rending mode my walls/roofs are transparent when I have assigned an image fill to them. Also, I do not know how to assign an image fill to a class, maybe this is my problem.

Thanks,

Jase

Jase,

Create your VP with the desired angle, etc. Group it. Enter the Group and duplicate the VP. Now you can set the top one to Hidden Line and the bottom one to Fast Renderworks.

In order for the "sketchy" hatches to appear in Renderworks, you will have needed to use the "sketchy" version to export to image file. You should only have untextured planes if the plane has no texture applied OR if the hatch-texture is too big to appear on that plane.

Good luck,

Thanks for the tips guys,

Travis, I am going to try your method, this seems like it should work. EJ, if I am doing your method correct, it only gets close in a perspective, because as far as I know, I can only adjust the rotation and scale of the hatch, and not force it to follow the vanishing points of the perspective. This was actually the first thing I tried and was unsuccesful with getting it to look properly.

Jase,

When I tried making images out of hatches, the line quality was really poor, lines were really fat, or there was a gray backround to the rendering. I was wondering how yours was and what steps you took to get there, JPG, PNG,etc. Does anybody know how to get rid of the gray so it's just line on white?

MK,

1) Be sure you have the DPI settings at least 150. . .I always use 300.

2) Try both NO fill and white fill setting in your hatch. Go Modify-Hatch. . . Verify the background fill.

Jase,

When Viewports first came out (two years ago?), Katie and Robert suggested the stacked VP idea. Give them the credit.

[ 04-09-2006, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]

travis's method of rendering with hatches is very helpful and hopefully i will soon get to a stage where i can use it effectively.

i haven't had much experience creating images or hatches for that matter so apologies if this is obvious, but i not only have a greyish background fill (when setting is white) but my horizontal lines are appearing dashed and in a circular swirling pattern in the perspective view?? any ideas about what i'm doing wrong here?

Still at best only a work around 3.d vertor fills needed bad.

Archicad has had for quite some time.

This would make our freehand presentation go to the next level.

or a utility that that converts our hatches.

Maybe in version "13", woooo if its called that.

regards Brendan