More Purge control

Tom W.

Question

I'd like to be able to exclude certain selected items from all Purge operations across all files until I specify otherwise. I have a several classes + resources in my template files which I always want present in all my documents even if I'm not currently using them. Each time I run Purge I have to manually exclude these classes/resources from a very long list in the Purge Preview dialog to prevent them being deleted. It would just be nice to have a bit more control + be able to identify these items up front + exclude them until further notice + for these settings to be saved across all files. Would save a bit of time + prevent user error. You wouldn't have to make use of it if you didn't want to but it would be there if you did.

• Like 2

8 answers to this question

No way to make it run automatically.  Yes it would have the classes/layers/resources that you want to always have listed in the script. Then you could run the Purge command then the script to put back the "unused" things you want.

It might even be possible to have the script include the purge command, and in that case, yes, it would basically run automatically.

Just a possible work around to make like easier until VW decides to grant this wish. 😉

• Like 1

Thanks Pat running the script would be 100% fine I just meant the script would look at the list of classes/layers/resources we give it + automatically detect which ones were absent + not be freaked out that we were telling it to import something that was already there (as some of them will be in use + some won't). That would be very cool. 

40 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

It might even be possible to have the script include the purge command

This would be very interesting to see!

Thanks for looking into it much appreciated

10 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

So I can bring up the purge dialog box in a script.

Can you post or DM me your template file and a list of the resources/classes/layers you want the script to always return to the file after purge?  I am assuming that these are  in your template file.  

Where do you store your template file?

- once you build this can you please include instructions on how to change out @Tom W.s items. @Pat Stanford I have an idea that could make this work for any user and as they continue to add new resources. What if there was a string within the resource name you want to keep that the script searches for... for example if I put the word "unicorn" in the name of every resource I wanted not purged.

thanks!

I have script somewhere that makes an object in every class with the attributes by class. 

Make a symbol of that have it in your library and if purge gets to happy you drop the symbol back in and bingo classes all back.

Have that symbol on a layer that is other wise empty unlikely to get turned on like a group divider and purge then says there are object in those classes and leaves them out of the purge list. 

1 hour ago, Matt Overton said:

I have script somewhere that makes an object in every class with the attributes by class. 

Make a symbol of that have it in your library and if purge gets to happy you drop the symbol back in and bingo classes all back.

Have that symbol on a layer that is other wise empty unlikely to get turned on like a group divider and purge then says there are object in those classes and leaves them out of the purge list. 

I could also just ensure that I have objects assigned to the classes in question in my template files, then they would never be purged. But it would still be nice if in the Purge Preview dialog when you uncheck items you don't want purged you were able to 'lock' those choices so that they were remembered the next time you run the command.