ROOM FINISH SCHEDULES

You can always just use a Wall/Floor/Ceiling Finishes Symbol then link Records to Symbol and simply assign values to all the Records/Fields your projects require. That's what I do ... anyway. Seems to work just fine.

The Space Procedure requires a polygon to make a polyline to object ID# the space. This is entirely separate from assigning finishes to wall objects , for example.

Robert - The room name tool is available, but in V.12 you are no longer able to assign room finishes to the room name - unless im missing something? I will send email to bugsubmit.

Islandmon - Thanks for your comments. I dont think the space procedure is entirely separate from assigning finishes to wall objects. That is the only way to assign room finishes in V.12. I noticed you are a user since Minicad v1.0 so it sounds like we both know how to create a symbol, link text/records, and create spreadsheets. But, that is much more difficlut than the assign room finish tools in V.11.5 and you dont get to take advantage of an office wide finish library. We might have to do that - as last resort.

quote:

Originally posted by sprague:

...1. Space Tool: 90% of the time we import an AutoCad drawing. Version 11.5 we had the option to use the Room Name Tool. The Space Tool, forces us to draw a poly around the room just to put the name in - an extra step we shouldnt have to do. ...Thank you.

AEC>Create Polys from Walls>Net Area. Then AEC Objects from Polyline>Space.

Now you have all of your rooms populated with Space objects.

As an interior design firm, Room Finish Schedules are obviously an important part of our business. Switching to version 12 has been a step back in time and reminds me of MiniCad version 3 or 4. Does anyone else have problems? or solutions?

1. Space Tool: 90% of the time we import an AutoCad drawing. Version 11.5 we had the option to use the Room Name Tool. The Space Tool, forces us to draw a poly around the room just to put the name in - an extra step we shouldnt have to do. TECH SUPPORT AND PROGRAMMERS - Using the space tool is fine, but dont force me to draw a poly around the space when it really is not needed.

2. Materials: We have always used the Assign Room Finishes tool, and created our own library of finishes. Our library consists of T-1 for Tile, C-1 for Carpet, Etc. In Version 11.5 if we had two materials on the floor in the same space, we would use the Assign Room Finishes Tool, then add additional finishes in the Object Info Box. TECH SUPPORT AND PROGRAMMERS - We need a way to add more than one finish to each space. We often have several finishes on floors, walls, and ceilings.

3. Remarks Column: What happened to the remarks column? Does no one else add remarks? We almost add remarks. TECH SUPPORT AND PROGRAMMERS - We need a remarks column.

4. Tech Support: I have already contacted Tech Support and gone through these problems. After no solutions, the advise was to post something to this board, because alot of the senior tech support and programmers read the board and can make changes to the program. I hope that is the case.

I have used the program for almost 15 years, and although many of the changes in Version 12 are great, the changes to room finish schedules do not allow us to do our jobs efficiently. If Tech Support or anyone else has solutions to our problems, please let me know.

Thank you.

quote:

3. Remarks Column: What happened to the remarks column? Does no one else add remarks? We almost add remarks. TECH SUPPORT AND PROGRAMMERS - We need a remarks column.

The Remarks dissapeared but check if there's a Note column as in doors and windows.

"... But, that is much more difficlut than the assign room finish tools in V.11.5 and you dont get to take advantage of an office wide finish library. We might have to do that - as last resort."

Yeah... I know but ... it's Hard to teach Old Dogs New Tricks...

or make them jump thru toomany hoops before lunch ... ; )

soon come ... soon

quote:

Originally posted by Ramon PG:

quote:

The Remarks dissapeared but check if there's a Note column as in doors and windows.

I checked and there isn't one. I had to use the old "data-editing" method. And assign the proper link in the Schedule so that it shows. Here's the link I use: =('Room Record'.Remarks)

I only wish these inconsistencies were better explained at update time so that we may save our valuable time for designing (which is what we like) and invoicing!!! (hopefuly).

sprague:

...use the old "data-editing" method. Go to the Data tab in the Obj Info palette and enter the comment there.

Did you enter =('Room Record'.Remarks) in the database row of the Door Schedule?

Also remember you can always edit the column text header in the schedule (as long as you don't touch the record) to whatever you like: Note, Remaks, etc.

[ 04-14-2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]