Unrecognized File

Ole

I have started in the last half hour to get the message below on some recently used vw 12 files it has not happened before and i can't open these files at all. can any one shed some light

This is an unrecognized file. It may be a vectorworks created by a newer version of the application, it may be a very old mini cad file, it may have been created by a nother application, or it may have been corrupted by a hardware or system error

I am using vectorworks architects 12.01

[Confused]

Please send one of the files to tech@nemetschek.net

Also include what version these files were last saved as, the operating system you are using, and if the files are stored on a network - the OS the network is running.

• 1 month later...

Ole, have you resolved this issue?

I've just experienced the same problem today trying to open a current VW12 file that was saved and closed last night. No computer crash or any similar problem. Two other files being worked on at the same time, and closed/saved at the same time opened today without a problem.

Consequently, I'm very interested in your outcome.

Bonose

VW 12.0.1

Mac OS 10.4.6

• 2 weeks later...

I use both versions of VW 11.5 (mac)& VW11.5 windows. I experince same problem as Ole(posted 04/04/06) that reads "This is an unrecognized file. It may be a vectorworks created by a newer version of the application, it may be a very old mini cad file, it may have been created by a nother application, or it may have been corrupted by a hardware or system error."

My problem is whenever i try opening files in VW11.5 windows originally created in VW11.5 Mac the above maessage appears. It is however okay from Windows to Mac.

And why do files created in Mac flatform have no .mcd extension attached. Could that be the problem.

Anyone with answear, Please.

Thanks

Ole,

I have also had this issue specifically with projects started exclusively in v12. The fix I found was a post by archoncad in NZ (thanks Jon) and it worked to restore several large projects that would have otherwise been lost to the great abbiss of corruption. Jon used workgroup referencing to link to the corrupt file and once all design layers were brought over you break the link and save the file in another name. All the design layers were intact less the corrupt data, however none of the sheet data was saved and missing design layers without data will not be brought over.

This seems to be a problem which occurs randomly and I have not been able to identify what I am doing to cause it to happen. It has occured at different times inputting walls, windows and framing. There is something unstable in VW. I sometimes have recieved the blue screen of death when I exit VW after working in a large file...twice I have gone to reopen the files after the death screen and they have been corrupt. This situation has given no warning.

SAVE....SAVE....SAVE and Re-save.

My motto here is save the job...save your job. The control-S keys on my keyboard are warn off.

Pete Anthony

OVE