VW best settings for GPU / Performance?

DSmith2300

Question

Hi all,

After my GPU died, I was issued with a new HP z1 G5 +Nvidia 3060. 

I've been trying to figure out the best settings for performance, no 3D rendering required yet.

Still on 2021.

The old machine was form 2015, and the new one seems surprisingly sluggish for VW compared to the old one. I wonder what setting may be different that I was not aware of.

The main oddity is the way hatches are handled during panning and zooming.

screeengrab.gif.110fae5d9e4d90149fb6a8da7a4020ba.gif

There's a very noticeable lag as it renders the hatch again once still.

Clearly it's not going to affect the output, but it seems symptomatic of a larger problem which may get worse as I load more hatches into the plan.

I had a look at this and changed a few settings, but it still does this.

Perhaps the 2016 advice is no longer valid.

I've tried dialing the Nvidia card back to pure performance over quality and it's still there.

Can anyone suggest a couple of other back-end setting on the card or VW which may allow it to seem less crunchy / laggy?

Many thanks!

8 answers to this question

If you were on a Mac, I would suggest that you check and make sure that Automatic Graphics Switching (between the on-board low power graphics and the 3060) was turned off so the 3060 would always be used.

I don't know if something similar exists in Windows or not. But that is where I would start. Or check and see if there is a way to "white list" VW to always use the 3060.

9 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

If you were on a Mac, I would suggest that you check and make sure that Automatic Graphics Switching (between the on-board low power graphics and the 3060) was turned off so the 3060 would always be used.

I don't know if something similar exists in Windows or not. But that is where I would start. Or check and see if there is a way to "white list" VW to always use the 3060.

Thanks Pat.

I found another post which older, which went through the various app-specific settings for an Nvidia card. It was not a perfect match but I did what I could. Performance seems a bit better. And yes I think there was something about making it always use the discrete GPU.

Hi BartHays,

Thank you for your answer. It did not make any difference to change the graphics card like you sugested. I already purged the file too. And everytime i try to send an object to the surface, it takes ages or crashes. At this point after all the work I am a little worried.

The next step should probably be to contact Technical Support directly. They have far more experience in trouble shooting this type of issue than we do here.

The Forum is basically a User to User support. If you ask the right question or if you happen to ask a question that someone else has had the exact problem and solved it it works great. But for complex issues of the program not running smoothly, especially if it may be interaction with the OS or other software, the time you spend with Tech Support can often provide a much quicker solution that the slow back and forth of guesses on the forum.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Thank you Pat,

I just started using vectorworks 1 year ago. And I can say I am experiencing a few issues. For example VW2024 does not work on my desktop at work .. I am currently in contact with vectorworks official supplier here in Portugal, but there are no answers since November.  Thank you again.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:41 AM, MPereira said:

Hi Dsmith2300,

Can you please share that post you find? I am experiencing many errors on windows, at the point of not being able to bring plants with image props to surface of the site model... 

Here you go:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/articles.html/articles/improve-opengl-and-wireframe-performance-windows-only-nvidia-graphics-only-r340/&_fromLogin=1