How do I get Shaded to show all lines?

Bruce Kieffer

Question

14 answers to this question

Check your Shaded Options.  What do you have set for Line Thickness? What do you have set for Quality,  You probably want at least Medium, probably High.

Does changing the Crease Angle setting make a difference?

Finally, that side is shaded from the light source. You may need to add a light to shine on that face to be able to see all the edges.

And hopefully one of your rendering gurus will know exactly what it is and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. 😉

I fear - playing with the Crease Angle (40° ?) - would not help (?)

Although the above mentioned does not make really sense as the angle

between faces is 90° and there just should be a line shown.

I think the new VW 2022 Metal/DirectX based Shaded Mode does still have

some imperfections and regresses in display quality over former quite robust

OpenGL View Mode.

(Shadow quality here for me, also lots of posts about disappearing objects, ...)

• Like 1

Crease angle is a difficult concept.  I believe the basis is that angles (not the actual geometry angles of the model, but the projected angles in the render) that are more (less?) than the crease angle are considered to be part of the curvature of a surface and are not considered "edges" for the purposed of drawing lines.

Easiest way I know of to kind of demonstrate what it is doing is extrude a regular polygon. Probably something between 10 and 18 edges.  At 18 edges you should have a 20 degree angle between each face (actually probably 160 degree). Set the Crease Angle for 20 degrees and you will probably still see most if not all. Change the crease angle to higher values and see how high you have to go before all the edges disappear.  Note that in Shaded you have live preview. You can change the Crease Angle and the render will update before you close the dialog box.  I had to go to about 70 degrees before all the edges did not draw.

Now use the flyover tool and adjust the view. You can probably find an angle where you will have creases showing that did not show in the original location.

I am sure there is something logical behind this, but most users just kind of randomly try different angles until they get what they need.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

@Andy Broomell It would be interesting to repeat your screen movie and stop at a place where an edge does not show and adjust the smoothing angle and see if you can get it to come back.

Yes if I lower the Smoothing Angle I can get edges to incrementally come back. Of course it ends up making edges appear that I don't want to be there, but to your point it seems to be that the angle is somehow related to the screen POV rather than only the geometry itself. Seems unintuitive.