Using external packages

I have developed plugins with Vectorscript and have created a few small python scripts.  I'm looking at going a little deeper and running into roadblocks.

1. I want to use an python external package called pandas which makes joining and merging data sets and python objects easier.  I am struggling on figuring out the process of adding external packages specifically with vectorworks.  (There are a few threads that mention external packages but I cant follow their initial setup.)   They also mention an "external packages" folder in the users folder.  I don't see that folder so is it just a folder in my vw users folder. Did they manually create this folder?

2. If this package in included in a deployment of a Vectorworks plugin, how does the implementation of the external package reach the end user?   Does the package have to be installed on each users machine?

Thanks for any info!

Tyler

vw 2022 SP3.1 on windows 10

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Vectoworks ships with its own version of Python in a python folder located in the program files (for windows). eg location below:
C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023\Python39

so in the windows command prompt you navigate there using:

cd "C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023\Python39"

then run this:

python -m pip install pandas

Note
it's recommended that you upgrade pip before installing pandas by running this command (in my examples below my vectoworks install location may be different from yours):

C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023\Python39>python -m pip install --upgrade pip

then you'd install pandas:

C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023\Python39>python -m pip install pandas

• Like 3