Ability to rotate Reference Marker during insertion

Tom W.

Question

Like symbols, Drawing Labels, North Arrows... I would like to be able to rotate my Reference Markers as I insert them.

At the moment they insert only as per the orientation defined in the marker layout + have to be rotated manually after the fact by entering a value in the 'Arrow Angle' parameter in the OIP if you want them orientated differently. This is quite laborious + not a particularly easy way to get it pointing the way you want it

940390873_Screenshot2022-05-29at16_52_47.thumb.png.c629562008160b589dc716242a6eff51.png

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Like symbols, Drawing Labels, North Arrows... I would like to be able to rotate my Reference Markers as I insert them.

At the moment they insert only as per the orientation defined in the marker layout + have to be rotated manually after the fact by entering a value in the 'Arrow Angle' parameter in the OIP if you want them orientated differently. This is quite laborious + not a particularly easy way to get it pointing the way you want it

940390873_Screenshot2022-05-29at16_52_47.thumb.png.c629562008160b589dc716242a6eff51.png

This is a great idea... I'm working on a project with many angles and I'd like additionally to be able to select a face or line to orient a section line to so I don't have to do it manually - too much opportunity for slight error.  Currently when the section line is at an angle I have to draw the section line along a wall that I want to be parallel to and then move it back into place.

Maybe something like how different sides of a clip cube hilight... allowing you to click with certainty that your section line matches the plane you want to slice through.  

Maybe I should submit this as it's own Wishlist item. 

Edited by blanger

2 hours ago, blanger said:

Currently when the section line is at an angle I have to draw the section line along a wall that I want to be parallel to and then move it back into place.

Have you tried running the 'Create Section Viewport' command + setting a Smart Edge on the Wall, then you can draw the section line + it will snap to be parallel to the smart edge...?

Admittedly can be a pain if there's tons of snappable geometry in the way...

15 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Have you tried running the 'Create Section Viewport' command + setting a Smart Edge on the Wall, then you can draw the section line + it will snap to be parallel to the smart edge...?

Admittedly can be a pain if there's tons of snappable geometry in the way...

You've hit on my issue - lots of Snappable geometry in a small space.  I'll try the smart edges approach.  🧠
It just feels like there could be some intuitive approach as you will almost always be Parallel to something you've drawn when setting a section line. I have other section line improvements as well to request - like bending at a corner that angles and ability to do developed elevation off of a radius.

Edited by blanger

Perhaps we need a 'just snap to smart edge' hot key which suspends the setting of any new smart edges + ignores snapping for any other objects apart from the existing smart edge/s. I frequently create a smart edge then have to carefully tip-toe around, desperately trying to manoeuvre into position without creating any new smart edges + loosing the one I've set, and trying to get a snap on that smart edge + not anything else. If you could set a smart edge then hold down a key to tell VW 'keep that smart edge, don't create any more or snap to anything else until I let go of this key' that might be helpful...?

It might also be good, whilst in this state, to be able to move or rotate that smart edge...?

Also a command to convert a smart edge into a Guide, so it becomes semi-permanent...?

And whilst we're on the subject of Guides, the ability to use them normally in the annotations layer of a VP: at the moment, you can create Guides in annotations but the 'Delete All Guides' command doesn't get rid of them. You have to Unlock them then delete them manually. Same within the edit modes of symbols. I use Guides a lot but perhaps others don't...