Keynote bugs

adroney

I am experiencing several problems with the keynote feature in 12.0.1. I am placing the keynotes outside the viewports because it saves time (I have 4-8 viewports on one sheet).

-The computer freezes for about a minute as I move the keynotes around, then recovers. This happens roughly every 5 minutes.

-When I edit the annotation layer and then exit, the keynote legend text size gets huge. I have to double click on it to edit, then hit the 'okay' and the size returns to normal.

-After I do this however, the shoulder lengths of the every keynote get longer by 1/2". I have to adjust the length of the lines on every arrow. This takes so much time that I just leave the keynotes as is until I am ready to print because it is likely to happen again soon after I adjust them.

I have experienced these problems on a mac and a pc, both of which are fairly powerful. The problems were identical on both machines.

Because of all these problems, I gave up using the keynotes. I just use a textblock for the notes and the callout tool with a number instead of text. I would like to be able to use this feature though. Please respond if you have any ideas.

quote:

Originally posted by adroney:

-The computer freezes for about a minute as I move the keynotes around, then recovers. This happens roughly every 5 minutes.

-When I edit the annotation layer and then exit, the keynote legend text size gets huge. I have to double click on it to edit, then hit the 'okay' and the size returns to normal.

Because of all these problems, I gave up using the keynotes. I just use a textblock for the notes and the callout tool with a number instead of text. I would like to be able to use this feature though. Please respond if you have any ideas.

Same happens over here when using keynotes in Viewports. Those firsts two items are a bug in my opinion. I have been given the advice of using notes in design layers only using several classes for each drawing: Plan-Notes, Reflected-Notes, etc. Same for dimensions, I guess. I'm convinced that is a vestigial way of dealing with notes since it will make enlarged sections of the drawings show up with huge notes and dims. But it seems to be workaround for the "bug". I don't like it and don't use it, yet...

You can easily fix the huge keynote legend text sort-of-resetting it by re-choosing the font type. The nuisance is that it will occur at least once during each drawing session.

BTW, Another inexplicable thing is that keynote legend text will never appear inside the Viewport with the notes as it logically should (The name is Annotations, no??). It floats in the Viewport ether (nothingness, space-continuum...)

[ 04-03-2006, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

When you say you are placing keynotes "outside" of the viewports, I am assuming you are creating the referenced callouts on the sheet layer as opposed to annotating the viewports. When using the keynote feature of callouts, you should place your callouts in the viewport via the annotations mode to avoid this scaling issue. As for saving time, you only have to double click a viewport to annotate it and cropped viewports can be resized if that's an issue. I think the problem is with VW's automatic placement of the keynote on the sheet layer, which to me isn't really a problem if you use the tool as intended.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Eichel:

When you say you are placing keynotes "outside" of the viewports, I am assuming you are creating the referenced callouts on the sheet layer as opposed to annotating the viewports. When using the keynote feature of callouts, you should place your callouts in the viewport via the annotations mode to avoid this scaling issue. As for saving time, you only have to double click a viewport to annotate it and cropped viewports can be resized if that's an issue. I think the problem is with VW's automatic placement of the keynote on the sheet layer, which to me isn't really a problem if you use the tool as intended.

I use callout and keynotes both in design layers (Site or Plan) and sheet layers (enlarged plans). The thing with me is that placing keynotes in Viewports result in Keynotes Legend appearing outside the Annotations. By outside I mean it sits along the actual VPs, drawing border, etc. I can place keynotes inside the VP at a proper scale, as you say, but the Legend is "ousite" inaaccesible and not visible while I'm annotating. May be the intended way, since the manual says the Legend sits on the active layer, but still inaccessible.

[ 04-03-2006, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Eichel:

...Use the annotation system in VW's as intended and you should not have any problems.

Can you explain the sudden font size problem? It does exist.

The issue is that if you don't go fixing every sheet one by one you are going to waste a lot of time and ploting paper. Using the annotation system in VW's as intended is what we are trying to figure out. We are learning from everyone at the TechBoard.

[ 04-04-2006, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

I mentioned that your problem may be with VW's automatic placement of the keynote or legend on the sheet layer, which is logical as in architectural practice they often appear on a cover sheet. Perhaps the software engineer, logically assuming the callout would be placed in a viewport via the annotation mode, made provisions to address the scale considerations of the callout residing on a scaled viewport and the keynote residing on a full scale sheet. If this is the case, acting contrary to the intended use of the keynote feature may be where the problem lay. This is long way of saying, put your callouts "in the viewport".

Peter,

I place all Keynote callouts in viewports as you do. However, the "legend" that is placed on the sht layer is frequently out of scale (not intially, but when re-visiting the sht layer where placed). It seems a legit bug as it reverts to correct scale when editing margin handle or changing font.

Happens in all my files. I figured everybody is working around this. Not seeing it? Maybe its a more specific issue.

TIA, mmm

Mark, I tried to create this keynote scale problem being reported. I created my callouts both in and then out of the viewports, jumped back and forth between sheet and model layers, changed viewport scales several times and even turned off the scale text option for the layer. No change in the keynote scale, however, I did notice that panning and zooming started to get clunky which disappeared when I deleted my callouts. So something is going on here.

I cut and pasted the keynotes from the sheet layer into the annotations of each viewport. The text size of the legend still blows up sometimes but this may be because I originally created the keynotes on the sheet layer. It did however solve my biggest problem of the leader lengths changing which was a huge relief. So thanks everyone for your help.

quote:

Originally posted by adroney:

I cut and pasted the keynotes from the sheet layer into the annotations of each viewport. The text size of the legend still blows up sometimes but this may be because I originally created the keynotes on the sheet layer. It did however solve my biggest problem of the leader lengths changing which was a huge relief. So thanks everyone for your help.

I'm afraid I've done that already. It sort of makes sense to have your notes toghether. But if you add another keynote you'll find that another legend is created outside the Viewport.