How should I attach grade object to existing grades?

Hello, 

how can I attach my new grade objects to the existing network? Although I wait till the other grade object becomes red, it snaps to it's point, and gets the right height value from it, lot's of time the new grade object just doesn't attach to it. The points remain separated, two heigth labels are shown and I suppose that site model also doesn't like the two points on each other when I want to use the network for site modification.

Is there a good method which works?

Here is a guess: The start/end point of the new grade object is snapping to another, close by, part of the existing grade object, rather than to the insertion point (start/end point) of the existing grade line.

A grade object highlights for snapping on all parts, including the text boxes, the text characters, the grade line, the end points (insertion points).  The new one can snap to any of the close snaps (target highlights red), but will "network" only if the smart cursor indicates "insertion point" or the snap is somewhere along the grade line.  Similarly, when moving the position of a grade object end point, the pickup snap could pick part of the text box rather than the end point and drag that to the intended snap point - eg the end being moved will snap, but not land on the target point.   Vectorworks mostly finds and snaps to points along the line, but sometimes fails to find the end to end snaps.

Or?

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Thank you for your answer! Does this method works for you well on mac? Unfornutelly it doesn't work for me on windows. Although if I zoom very close to the point it's not sure it will conntect the grade object to the network. 😞 Even if it takes the height of it.

The blue Network indicator is only visible when:

• Drawing is in Top Plan view
  • Select Tool is active
  • Only applies to selected Grade object(s).

After placing a new Grade object, activate the Select tool in TopPlan to verify whether the new Grade displays the network blue marker.

My experience snapping new Grades to existing Grades is that the snap will succeed and the new Grade object will join the network if:

• Smart cursor indicates "Insertion Point" (this is the start click point when the target was originally drawn).
  • Or indicates "Locus" (this is the ending click when the target was created).
  • Or indicates "Object" (anywhere along the original grade line)
  • Target might or might not highlight. Snap succeeds as long as cursor indicates "Insertion Point" or "Locus", even if the target does not highlight. 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Selection