Dimensioning Options

Hi all, I am looking for a way to create chained dimensions, that dimension from the first click point, land the dimension at the far point of the dimension, and be a singular chained dimension line. 

So, it is similar to chained dimensions, except instead of distance from each other, I want it to be distance from first click, and land the dimension at each click point instead of centered.

It is similar to baseline, but I need it all to be in one line and not center the dimension between the first click and each point. 

It is very similar to the ordiante mode, but I want it to result in one chained dimension along a line, instead of a bunch of individual objects with no connecting line.

Any way to achieve this, or should I just use ordinate mode, add a line behind it, and group things as needed (as we have been doing)? 

What about using the Contrained Baseline Mode, selecting the first ("lowest") dim, copying the Dim Offset from the OIP. Select All of the dims and paste the Dim Offset into the OIP field. That should "collapse" all of the dims to be on top of each other. Then you only have to move the dim text to where you want it.

Attached is an example of the desired look. 

Pat, the issue is that with hundreds of dimensions, moving the dimensions to where I want them to land (which is at the unit in the drawing) would take significant time, versus having it land there with the click (such as with the ordinate mode). As of now, using ordinate mode and adding a line and grouping does the desired effect, but it would be better to have it be "chained" so that I can move or add dimensions easily. 

I realize that I'm probably asking for a new dimension mode that doesn't exist currently. 

vw Dimension example.png

@Sam Jones Sorry Sam, I couldn't help my self. 😉

@Stoli  I agree, buy Sam's tools. 

But here is another way.  Use the regular Chain Dimension tool and then with the chain dims still selected run the following script.

It will collapse all the Dims to the same "vertical" direction and move the Dim Text to the end point of the dimension.

Seems to work OK on horizontal dims. If you want to go this way it will need more work to handle vertical and angled dims.

Buy Sam's tools. 😉

Procedure ChainDimPoints;

{May 26, 2022}
{©2022 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{No Warranty Expressed of Implied. Use at your own risk.}

VAR	H1			:Handle;
	X1, Y1,R1	:Real;

Procedure Execute(Hd1:Handle);
	BEGIN
		R1:=HLength(Hd1);
		SetObjectVariableBoolean(Hd1,29, False);
		SetObjectVariableReal(Hd1, 44, 1);
		SetObjectVariableReal(Hd1, 45, R1);
		ResetObject(Hd1);
	End;

BEGIN
	If GetTypeN(FSActLayer)= 63 THEN
		Begin
			R1:=GetObjectVariableReal(FSActLayer,45);
			ForEachObject(Execute, (((T=DIMENSION) & (VSEL=TRUE))));
		End
	Else AlrtDialog('Only Dims can be selected');
End;

Run(ChainDimPoints);

• Like 1

Not a problem Pat.  With your command, the user has to select the lights, dimension the lights (with whatever mouse clicks are required, and then run your command.

With my command, you select the lights, click where you want to start measuring from, and where you want the text offset.  This varies slightly, depending on which dimension command you use.

• Like 1

This is all very helpful, thanks all!

@Sam Jones, I am a big fan of autoplot (label legend copying is my favorite!), haven't used those dimension utilities yet though! (I've had autoplot on my personal computer for years). I have been trying to find company budget to purchase autoplot and savy section on our office computer, but as of now, it's looking like a next year purchase.