Notes: On top of Viewports vs. inside Viewports

Is there any advantage to placing notes on top of Viewports (VPs) versus placing them as annotations inside VPs? I find it weird that notes placed inside VPs as keynotes will generate a Keynote Legend outside the VP.

For v12.0.x what is the "recommended" or "standard" way, if any?

So it would seem. But even with the keynotes "inside" the VP you get the Keynote Legend outside the VP, as I said.

So there is an inconsistency or minor but annoying bug. I say annoying because from time to time the Keynote Legend outside the VP will blow-up its font size about 20 times and you'll have to enter the Keynote Legend, do a silly tweak and It'll go back to its former size.

Happening to anyone also?

Yea, I am experiencing the same thing. The keynotes will randomly expand to about 15 times their size - also the key note callouts will expand but then resize themselves, leaving a text box that stretches all across the screen. I can't find a reason for it.

I mentioned in "keynote bugs" that your problem may be with VW's automatic placement of the keynote or legend on the sheet layer, which is logical as in architectural practice they often appear on a cover sheet. Perhaps the software engineer, logically assuming the callout would be placed in a viewport via the annotation mode, made provisions to address the scale considerations of the callout residing on a scaled viewport and the keynote residing on a full scale sheet. If this is the case, acting contrary to the intended use of the keynote feature may be where the problem lay. This is a long way of saying, put your callouts "in the viewport".