roofing area

Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the area of roofing that my building has? It has a combination of hip and gable roofs at different pitches. Is there any tool that I am overlooking that will calculate the area of the outer face of a roof face, or better yet, take my whole roof and tell me the amount of roofing material needed.

Thanks...

You can :

1) Set up a worksheet to convert the pitch angle. The ArcCos of the pitch angle = the multiple ( Arctan Rise/Run = angle):

30?=1.1547, 23?=1.086, 18?=1.05, 14?=1.03, 10?=1.0154

A gable Roof with a 4:12 Pitch has a 1.05 multiplier. Therefore, a plan area of 2000sf = 2,103sf.

2) Use 3D Loci to set the corner vertices ( make sure the Rise = Z , then connect them with 3D Polys and use the OIP to determine the exact area of each 3D Polygon.

Right click to download this simple tutorial file

Or, if the explanation offered by the math professor is a little over your head, you can simply select the roof and invoke Volumetric Properties. Since the area shown by this command includes all surfaces of the roof PIO, dividing in half will be roughly the shingled area.

Good luck,