Import layers, classes, etc from ConnectCAD

I started a project back in November using the Spotlight template. Since then, I've started a new file of the same project using the ConnectCAD template to create wiring diagrams of the various systems. To take advantage of the workflow steps that follow the schematic work (physical 3D, cable runs, etc), I need to import all of the ConnectCAD stuff into the master project file. Once everything is imported, I expect that I'll continue editing as revisions are necessary.

There are a few ways I could accomplish this but I want to make sure I don't screw it up. What's the recommended best practice?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Mark

Generally speaking ConnectCAD automatically imports any resources it needs so you can use all the tools in any file. One thing to be aware of is that symbols used in schematic elements are scaled to match the current snap grid size. The purpose of this is to allow you to draw schematics using any layer scale, not just 1:1. In the templates the grid is set to 1/4" or 4mm in metric. So if you import resources from the ConnectCAD template they will look good at 1:1 scale with the standard snap grid.

That's basically what you need to look out for.

Conrad

• Like 1

Thanks, Conrad!

I definitely would have screwed that up. Here's the workflow I followed (with your help).

Steps

1. Open ConnectCAD workspace
  2. Purge old ConnectCAD autogenerated resources (for my own organizational sanity later on... )
  3. Uncheck All Layers in Layer Scale (may not be necessary but doesn't hurt)
  4. Set design layer grid to 1/4” and 1” (symmetrical)
  5. Import classes
  6. Select all resources in source file, and export to destination file
  7. Import design layers
    • Check Import Layer Objects
  8. Import sheet layers
  9. Copy title block & viewports in source file, and paste into destination file (one at a time)
    • (There might be a better way of doing this?)

Notes

• No saved views in template file
  • Schematic design layer will import at 1:1 scale

Everything looks the same in both files except the sheet borders appear to be fit to outside or something (they're not) in the destination file:

1478133267_ScreenShot2022-05-26at11_48_37PM.png.710d34ed227e3c869a55bc4c72a90cf0.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Hello @Mark Aceto,

51 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Everything looks the same in both files except the sheet borders appear to be fit to outside or something (they're not) in the destination file:

- As far as I can see the TBBs in the template are set to Fit to Page in their Sheet Size. If you want them to Fit to Printable Area you should select that in the Sheet Size of the TBB.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

10 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Mark Aceto,

- As far as I can see the TBBs in the template are set to Fit to Page in their Sheet Size. If you want them to Fit to Printable Area you should select that in the Sheet Size of the TBB.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

All of the settings appear the same (set by style), so I'm scratching my head... 

968759998_ScreenShot2022-05-27at10_54_11AM.thumb.png.7a5152152ccefea6a4a4582991b444f7.png

16 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Yes, that is correct. You have to edit the TBB style and set the Sheet Size to be "Fit to Printable Area" instead of "Fit to Page".

I guess I'm just confused why I would change the TBB style default setting from Page to Printable Area.

6 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

I guess I'm just confused why I would change the TBB style default setting from Page to Printable Area.

I suppose that in your source file you did not have your pages set up with margins and that is why you did not notice this as something strange and that is why the TBBs look good to you. In the destination file your sheet has margins which means that Page area is different than Printable Area and that is why you see this difference. If you do not want to change the style's settings you can make the Sheet Size to be By Instance and then change it in the TBBs instead.