Attach GDTF File to Symbol

We use a custom symbol library for all of our fixtures and are looking to start using GDTF fixture modes with these. Is there any way to have the GDTF file linked to the symbol so that when the symbol gets imported into the file that is being worked on the GDTF also comes in, rather than having to import it in separately, as well as it showing up in the GTDF drop down instead of having to search through the library for it.

• 5 months later...
On 5/25/2022 at 2:25 PM, klinzey said:

Currently there is no way to link a Vectorworks symbol.
That functionality is something we are looking into as an improvement in a future version.

Hi Kevin,

Just wondered what sort of timescale there is for this please? Just setting up our company fixture library with our Workgroup now, and being able to attach a GDTF file to each fixture in it would seem pretty fundamental. If I understand correctly at the moment, the user creating each drawing would need to import a GDTF for every fixture type in to their drawing and assign them to the relevant objects of each type?

I've also noticed that the footprint field of a fixture doesn't follow the GDTF. Without a GDTF added, I can enter in an invalid footprint (say 1152) while the field is editable, and then once I attach a GDTF, the field locks but retains that inputted value? 

For a different fixture in a new file, the footprint field of a fixture doesn't change when swapping between GDTF modes that I know should have different footprints, as well.

• 7 months later...