2d Objects not displaying on inactive Layers

rudybeuc@gmail.com

Question

So I'm going to model a site.

I've shot grade elevations in the field and I'm going to lay out 3d loci in line with the information I've gathered. The 2d information is on one layer, the 3d loci are going to be on their own. 

Despite all my visibility settings, the 2d information disappears when that layer is not active. 

What's wrong now? Been spinning my wheels with this for a few hours now...

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

8 answers to this question

Your layers are at different scales.

In order to show layers of different scales at the same time you will have to go to Document Preferences:Legacy 2D and turn on Legacy 2D and turn off Unified View.  With Unified View turned on (the VW2022 default), only layers of the same scale show and the view of all layers stays linked together so when you change the view all the layers change together.

You are probably better off setting all the layers to the same scale to get the functionality you are looking for.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Your layers are at different scales.

In order to show layers of different scales at the same time you will have to go to Document Preferences:Legacy 2D and turn on Legacy 2D and turn off Unified View.  With Unified View turned on (the VW2022 default), only layers of the same scale show and the view of all layers stays linked together so when you change the view all the layers change together.

You are probably better off setting all the layers to the same scale to get the functionality you are looking for.

Ok, that worked. I've switched all the layers to the same scale and everything is working as expected. I've got to keep unified view turned on or else Illogical stuff happens. 

I'm used to working in another software an all the little different ways VW does things are adding to the learning curve.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Glad I spotted it.  Lucky you had your ruler bars turned on.  That is how I spotted the scale difference.

Every software has its own tricks.  Best to just accept them and use the software the way it wants to work and not try to force it to work they way something you already know does. That is a sure path to disappointment and anger. 😉

3 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Glad I spotted it.  Lucky you had your ruler bars turned on.  That is how I spotted the scale difference.

Every software has its own tricks.  Best to just accept them and use the software the way it wants to work and not try to force it to work they way something you already know does. That is a sure path to disappointment and anger. 😉

>>Every software has its own tricks.  Best to just accept them and use the software the way it wants to work and not try to force it to work they way something you already know does. That is a sure path to disappointment and anger. 😉<<

I get that, but, knowing the differences, or more specifically what's causing the thing not to work as expected is 2/3rd's of the battle.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

12 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

So I'm going to model a site.

I've shot grade elevations in the field and I'm going to lay out 3d loci in line with the information I've gathered. The 2d information is on one layer, the 3d loci are going to be on their own.

Have you considered using stake objects for this instead?  They can be configured to display 2D information such as elevation, coordinates, and more.  Plus, they serve as data for the site model.

9 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

I get that, but, knowing the differences, or more specifically what's causing the thing not to work as expected is 2/3rd's of the battle.

That's where training helps.  You will be amazed by what you will learn just listening to some Vectorworks Uni classes in your free time.  Even after years of using this software, I'm always learning something new... sometimes even basic things that I overlooked.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Have you considered using stake objects for this instead?  They can be configured to display 2D information such as elevation, coordinates, and more.  Plus, they serve as data for the site model.

That's where training helps.  You will be amazed by what you will learn just listening to some Vectorworks Uni classes in your free time.  Even after years of using this software, I'm always learning something new... sometimes even basic things that I overlooked.

No, maybe I'll try them. I was not going to because I understood they required more computing power and could bog thins down, but then I have only about 120 points, so.....

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

No, maybe I'll try them. I was not going to because I understood they required more computing power and could bog thins down, but then I have only about 120 points, so.....

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

I sometimes use loci, other times stakes, frequently use both together.  I haven’t noticed any speed issues (contours as source material will do that).

When I teach site modeling, I find people can relate to stakes displaying elevation much better than nodes.  Easy for them to move in Top Plan and know exactly what they are doing.  Also, they are very flexible for reports and exporting to Civil, Survey, & Contractor.  

Anyhow, highly recommended, especially vs contours.

• Like 2