Can I adjust the internal origin?

Guest Frank Brault

This may not be what you are looking for, but you can either use the Vectorworks Origin menu set under Tools->Origin-> to drag the VWX internal origin to the red dot, or Show Snap Layers, select all, and then drag the Red dot by it's center point to the VWX internal origin...

Not sure if it's just me but your image is just showing your tool bar. But you can move the Internal Origin wherever you want. If you draw a Circle centred on the red circle you mention + make sure the new circle is large enough to encompass all geometry, then you can use the 'Centre Drawing on Internal Origin' command under Tools>Origin as @Frank Brault mentions to move the Internal Origin to the red circle i.e. the centre of all your geometry because of the new big circle (if that makes sense...).

Delete big circle afterwards.

Or use Geolocate Tool.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Not sure if it's just me but your image is just showing your tool bar. But you can move the Internal Origin wherever you want. If you draw a Circle centred on the red circle you mention + make sure the new circle is large enough to encompass all geometry, then you can use the 'Centre Drawing on Internal Origin' command under Tools>Origin as @Frank Brault mentions to move the Internal Origin to the red circle i.e. the centre of all your geometry because of the new big circle (if that makes sense...).

Delete big circle afterwards.

Or use Geolocate Tool.

Hi Tom, could you please elaborate on the geolocate tool? This is my case:

I am working with an imported cad survey file, and I know the coordinates of a certain point A. I want to add geo referencing to align the survey with geo image underneath, but looks like I can only define the target coordinates based on my internal origin. Since my internal origin is not aligned with point A and I want to know how to adjust the internal origin to make it land on point A. Your circle method works, but is there any more straight forward way to do so by using geo locate tool?

Thank you.  

15 hours ago, DDD said:

Hi Tom, could you please elaborate on the geolocate tool? This is my case:

I am working with an imported cad survey file, and I know the coordinates of a certain point A. I want to add geo referencing to align the survey with geo image underneath, but looks like I can only define the target coordinates based on my internal origin. Since my internal origin is not aligned with point A and I want to know how to adjust the internal origin to make it land on point A. Your circle method works, but is there any more straight forward way to do so by using geo locate tool?

Thank you.  

Perhaps the Geolocate Tool in third ('Search') mode, where you can enter specific coordinates?

But, if you georeference the blank file first then import the survey file the CAD geometry should come in at the right coordinates automatically. I have a georeferenced template file I use day in day out so only used the Geolocate Tool once when I set this file up to position the Internal Origin in the rough centre of where I work so that every time I use that template file my geometry is always within 5km of the Internal Origin. Perhaps the Geolocate Tool is not helpful in your particular case - I can't say.

This is helpful info too: 

6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Perhaps the Geolocate Tool in third ('Search') mode, where you can enter specific coordinates?

But, if you georeference the blank file first then import the survey file the CAD geometry should come in at the right coordinates automatically. I have a georeferenced template file I use day in day out so only used the Geolocate Tool once when I set this file up to position the Internal Origin in the rough centre of where I work so that every time I use that template file my geometry is always within 5km of the Internal Origin. Perhaps the Geolocate Tool is not helpful in your particular case - I can't say.

This is helpful info too: 

Got it, my cad file doesn't contain geo info. The 'Search' mode in geolocate only moves drawing based on internal origin instead of a selected base point, so I still need to adjust the internal origin to align with the known reference point. Your  circle method works for me. Thank you!