Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette object node disappearing

There is not Marionette object in the file. Somehow it was deleted. Unless you have a backup of the file around, I do not know of any way to get it back.

I did take a look at your symbols.  I would recommend that you make the oval extrusions you are using as cutting objects for the slots slightly longer. It looks like they are exactly the same thickness as the strut. At least some of them seem to be in the same plane as the outside of the strut. This can cause a condition known as "surface fighting" where the rendering engine can't determine which surface to show.  Making them slightly longer than the strut wall thickness might make the strut objects more robust in use.

Thanks for looking at this Pat.

Yes, the cutting objects are exactly the same size. Thanks for the tip on that.

Regarding my file with missing objects: the file itself isn't anything I can't recreate, but I would like to understand what's going on.

The objects were definitely not deleted at the time of saving - in fact I have a series of autosave files with the same issue.

I have recovered (sort of) the Marionette object by importing the design layer into a new file - see attached. Now the problem is that I can select the Marionette object with control-A, but I can't see it.

Any idea what's going on?

Unstrut 6 recovered.vwx

Ah, of course! When I save the recovered file and re-open it again the object disappears in the same way as the original file.

The object can be recovered by doing this:

• New file
  • Rename Design Layer 1 as anything else
  • New layer > import Design Layer 1 from faulty file with import layer objects checked
  • Control-A

Then you can see the Marionette object in the OIP, but I can't see it on the main screen.

This sounds like another thread from last week. Apparently Marionettes don't do well when pastes between files as they are looking at the origin in the wrong file.

You can "kind of" get the marionette back by after importing the layer you deflect the symbol to leave only the marionette selected and then Right Click and Edit the Marionette and choose script. The nodes will show, but all of the connections are lost. Even if you copy them out of the object and paste them into a new layer or even a new file, they do not respond to Layer Scale, so they are very corrupt. And they look like they were produces on a layer with a very small scale.  But at least you will be able to see what the nodes were to be able to recreate the marionette.

@Marissa Farrell Can you take a look at these files. Does this look like the same issue as the other file?

I have no idea why, but the Python script for the "bad" node is missing a variable name.

I assume what is happening is that when you click OK, it is pulling the python script from the local installation of VW instead of using the version that is cached with the node. Since the local version has the correct variable that fixes it.

But I have no idea how or why it is missing the variable name.

@Marissa Farrell Yet another mystery for you.

• Marionette Maven

I was able to recover the object - for now, I've added a locus object so that you can still grab the object when pasting between files, you'll need to update the object in some way after copying it for the object to appear (move it, run the Reset All Plug-Ins command, etc.)

I think I have another idea if the locus isn't suitable for you.

This happens because your object is relying on other resources (your symbol insertion) and my theory is that the objects are being copied over AFTER the Marionette object is created, and since your network calls for them and they aren't yet present, the object fails.

Unstrut v6 v2022.vwx

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven
17 hours ago, AlistairM said:

It sounds like it could be a similar issue.

I have another file here, in which I isolated a problem node. I suspect that this was to do with copying between files. Maybe this simple example will help identify the issue.

Can you tell me how you got that second node into the file exactly? This node doesn't have the preprocessor command so it's not looking for a script elsewhere (unless you've customized your python scripts in your install) so that shouldn't be the issue.

What version and build were you using when placing that object in the file? Was it two separate installs?

• Marionette Maven
18 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

And they look like they were produces on a layer with a very small scale.

Funny you mention this - I've been working within nodes in recent builds to test out some script changes and every node I enter and change resizes when I edit it. I'll have to look into this a little deeper though because I know when we place resources from the RM or tool, they come in correctly. I'm wondering if they're existing within wrappers/objects at an incorrect scale now...

• Marionette Maven
21 minutes ago, Marissa Farrell said:

I was able to recover the object - for now, I've added a locus object so that you can still grab the object when pasting between files, you'll need to update the object in some way after copying it for the object to appear (move it, run the Reset All Plug-Ins command, etc.)

I think I have another idea if the locus isn't suitable for you.

This happens because your object is relying on other resources (your symbol insertion) and my theory is that the objects are being copied over AFTER the Marionette object is created, and since your network calls for them and they aren't yet present, the object fails.

I'd like to correct myself here and provide a better solution.

Your symbol resource that you reference is NOT being carried over when you copy it, I'm actually not sure how it's fixing itself. 

The attached file is a better solution. I advise you to place all resources that your network requires within the Marionette script container (you'll notice in this file if you edit your script that there is a group of objects, within that group are symbol instances of the symbols you've referenced in your popup)

Unstrut v6 v2022 v2.vwx

• Like 2