Glass thickness in 2D

Hi there,

I'm a long term 2D Vectorworks user and attempting to make my first jump into some BIM workflows and very much figuring things out as I go along. First of many questions; is there a way to adjust the settings for the window tool so that the glazed section resembles something closer to traditional 2D drafting (3 lines representing the glass rather than just 1)? The single line looks very flimsy.

Glass thickness in the Window > Jamb and Sash settings will increase the thickness of the glass in 3D but does nothing in 2D it seems.

It would be nice if we could see the sash drawn in plan beyond the cut plane too then you would get three lines.

this setting really need to allow the specification of glazing unit, I.e. single, double or triple glazed and allow the definition of individual sheets of glass or the overall unit thickness eg 6:4:6 = 16mm

all of course related to the LOD settings

• Like 1

ps

You can right click on the window style in the resource manager, or an unstyled window directly, and 'edit 2D component'. 

An alarming alert comes up but you can add your own 2D linework to the window, although it is not linked to the window, so if the window size changes, the linework has to be amended accordingly. 

Adding 2d data stops the window from being modified. 

The 2d data has to be deleted before you can modify the window size, for example.

This is a shame, but if your window styles are size specific, it's no big deal.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 5/24/2022 at 6:59 AM, James Hogan said:

Hi there,

I'm a long term 2D Vectorworks user and attempting to make my first jump into some BIM workflows and very much figuring things out as I go along. First of many questions; is there a way to adjust the settings for the window tool so that the glazed section resembles something closer to traditional 2D drafting (3 lines representing the glass rather than just 1)? The single line looks very flimsy.

When you set the viewport to a Detail Level" of "High", you should get two lines for the glazing and the sash lines beyond.

• Like 1

Ah...  The wonders of LOD.  It has not clarified anything, has it?

Our thresholds are usually 1:100 and 1:20.

1:50, where we would show the lines of glazing and sash lines beyond, is 'Medium' LOD.

'High' is too high for 1:50.

There does not appear to be any way to change the objects included in 'Medium' as there is a Door.  Can these elements be user-configurable please so that we can include them on 'Medium' LOD only?

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, shorter said:

Ah...  The wonders of LOD.  It has not clarified anything, has it?

Our thresholds are usually 1:100 and 1:20.

1:50, where we would show the lines of glazing and sash lines beyond, is 'Medium' LOD.

'High' is too high for 1:50.

There does not appear to be any way to change the objects included in 'Medium' as there is a Door.  Can these elements be user-configurable please so that we can include them on 'Medium' LOD only?

Can you please enter an enhancement request for this?