Renderworks texture no show

VW2013 on Windows10

Trying to render a house plan, done in 2D. Added roof for perspective. In Renderworks the siding wall texture displays properly. But shingle roof Fill displays as white. So, I created a texture from image, and it still shows white. Finally found a shingle texture in VW libraries, and applied it to the roof as Class Texture. Then in OI, first selected Overall = shingle lt gray. When that didn't work, changed to Top = Class Texture (hoping edges would display as white). None of my attempts would render shingles on the roof, in Fast or Final RW. Renderworks Camera says "document default". Some test textures on simple boxes, simply disappeared. Am I missing something essential here?

Note : Retired architect. Never used 3D much. When I opened my one-man office, in 1995, I switched from early AutoCAD, to VectorWorks for 2D working drawings, and loved it. But for rendered perspectives, found VW too cumbersome & glitchy. So mostly used SketchUp. I could do this house in my ancient version of SU, but the Floor Plan was already done, so showing the walls in 3D was relatively easy. But, the roof has been frustrating. Couldn't get Create Roof to work, so did each segment as Roof Face.

Roof Plan with shingle texture.PNG

Final Render perspective.PNG

Roof OI shingle.PNG

Through brute force, I finally got the shingle texture to display on the main roof. But a lower section still displays as white. In Top/Plan view, I selected each Roof Face, then pointed to the Texture Resource, and clicked Apply. Sometimes it worked, but other times no change. After using the same methods, the Screen Porch roof still won't render, in OpenGL or in Fast Renderworks. Am  I doing something wrong, or is rendering just not very reliable?

Roof iso__no shingle on Screen Porch.PNG

Edited by JHEarcht3

I am mostly posting here in the hope that someone who follows me will also see this and help.

You are probably doing it wrong as most people are rendering in VW.

That being said, I am not extremely hopeful that you will get the help you need. You are running almost 10 year old software, and there have been a lot of changes since then, to the roof object, to the rendering engine, to how textures are applied. Not a lot of people are still running 2013. Those who are not will probably have a hard time remembering the steps you need to take to accomplish what you are doing.

But this forum has amazed me before in what it knows.  Fingers crossed.

But it looks like you have a texture applied to the edge of the screen porch roof. So it is taking textures, you just need to get it applied to the face. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Couple thoughts - what does the class dialog look like?  There are separate settings for roofs, walls, and "other" object types.  The roofs are roof, the porch might be "other".

Plan shows image fill, maybe setting fill to solid would show texture in 3D.  But I think image fill counts as solid already, not sure.  HTH!

4 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

But it looks like you have a texture applied to the edge of the screen porch roof. So it is taking textures, you just need to get it applied to the face. 

Yes. I noticed that. But I couldn't find a way to change just this roof from Side to Top. So I edited the Roof Face Texture "use at creation" and set to Top Texture, just to see what would happen. What happened is that two un-connected roof faces disappeared. They were not found in a custom search for Type = Roof Face. So, I closed the file without saving. And will try again later. I've had several parts of the house, with textures, to suddenly, disappear for no apparent reason.

Note : I'm retired, and not getting paid for this rendering. So not likely to upgrade my over-the-hill software.

Edited by JHEarcht3
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Dave Donley said:

Couple thoughts - what does the class dialog look like? 

The screen porch roof is in class Roof-Main, just like all the other roof faces, but it's in a separate Group. The Roof class is set to Top Texture as indicated in the screenshot. Other has no setting. But the porch roof still renders White on the top and Gray Shingles on the fascias. Is there a way to flip top and bottom?

All the roof faces have a tile image fill that shows in Top/Plan view. All except the Screen Porch roof display the shingle texture when rendered.

Roof Class top texture.PNG

Edited by JHEarcht3

Hope you solved this already.  Some thoughts:

Is all the geometry close to drawing origin? Search for any stray object at great distance. Esp can be distant stuff if any of the geometry was imported.  

Verify info in the attributes palette. The roof face is in the Roof-Main class, but the attributes palette fill color for the roof face might not pick up the texture unless palette shows fill color is “by class”?  Also, save in case you need to go back, then try enabling “Use at Creation” for the class setting and leave the texture one enabled too.  Something is missing and preventing textures on those surfaces.  

Try pasting a copy of just the two roof faces into a new blank file and test settings and render there. Faster test cycles and fewer distractions. If something suceeds, replace the ones in project file with the test roofs. 

-B

Thanks for the suggestions, but the only thing that worked was repeated repetition until I randomly hit upon something that worked. Here's the imperfect rendering that I finally accepted as good enough for non-government work. You may notice the left eave fascia of the main roof is still showing shingles on the edge. I changed the OI Render tab from Overall Texture to Top only over & over, but it always reverted back to Overall. The right side of the roof did not have this problem.

The screen porch roof previously displayed White Fill on top, even though the shingle texture was selected in the OI. So, in desperation, I copied the Group, then un-grouped it, set Texture to Top only, and it changed from white to shingle texture. Unfortunately, even though the OI Render tab says Top only, it still shows shingles on the fascia. Since that plane is in shadow, I decided to give-up and follow the Beatle's advice : "let it be".

Ellyn Cottage Perspective 3__05-27-2022__print PDF_front w plants.pdf

Edited by JHEarcht3
  • Like 2