Complex roof shape modelling tips

Hi all,

I'm trying to model a fairly complex roof shape and struggling to get VW to do what I want. I usually use VW for garden design, and so this is a less familiar area of functionality for me and so hoping some experts might be able to help.

I've attached a couple of pictures to help show what I'm trying to do. One is a photo of the house I'm trying to model. The other is a screenshot of VW so far.  I tried to create a roof that went over the whole building footprint but quickly realised that wasn't going to work. Instead I'm now trying to build it up in sections.  On the screenshot you'll see I've managed to get it to model the single story wing of the house roof, but then there is a little 'extra' bit at the end closest to the bulk of the house.  I can't seem to get rid of this bit and so any tips would be welcomed in terms of the most efficient way to build this model.

Thank you all in advance!

House read aspect.jpeg

House roof VW 1.png

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips and link to other threads. I'm making progress. Not perfect, but probably good enough for what I have in mind for this particular project (which is more about the garden around the house).  Roof looking more or less like the house in the picture now, just need to tweak angles etc.  Not all of the measurements of the house itself are prefect sadly, but again sufficient for now. 

Thanks again!

House roof VW 2.png

• Like 1
Guest Wes Gardner

For me, if the roof is any more complicated than a simple gable ended single pitch roof, I almost immediately jump to using Roof Faces...they won't give you the automation as far as creating fascia boards and stuff like that but I typically model those separately anyway.  Alot of times I model the outer-most component of the roof (the shingles or whatever the finish material is going to be) separately.