Weird overall visibility behaviour VWX 2019

Visconte Cobram

Question

EDIT: resetting the preference seems to have solved most if not al the problems.. 

Hi all,

my mbp recently died and I moved my setup to a 2015 Mac Pro that I used for music production so far.

I couldn't transfer my templates and preferences to the new machine, only most of my .vwx files that I had stored on a external hard drive.

I have this very weird issue where I can't see anything in the top/plan view and I can only see it if selected and/or in 3d view.

Here is what happens in more detail.

I open any old file (this happens in newly created files as well) and the page is blank where I should see the project

I make a rectangle selection around the area where the objects should be and the previously invisible objects are now still invisible but outlined in orange as if selected.

If I click away from the selection the selection disappears and the objects are still missing.

If I change the view to any other view (let's say "right isometric") then the 3d objects become visible and if I then switch back to top/plan then everything is visible except for the fact that light fixtures are now displayed as 3d objects rather than 2d symbols with labels.

Also, when in plan view the layer options menu (active only, grey others and so on) seems to not have any effect, all the layers are always shown.

in a newly created file, I insert a light fixture and nothing happens, I hover it with the mouse and see the orang outline, click on where it is supposed to be and see only the outline, switch to 3d view and it is visible, switch to 2d and it is still visible but in 3d form

Sheet layers exhibit same behaviour, they appear invisible and only by selecting them the selection can be seen, not the object of the selection.

I hope this is due to some preference I have forgot to set.

Thanks for any help, this is quite frustrating

Edited by Visconte Cobram

3 answers to this question

What Operating System is running on the MBP? What version of VW are you running? It sounds kind of like OS incompatibility issues.

Your signature appears to be out of date.  You can fix your signature by clicking on your user name at the upper right, choosing Account Settings, and then clicking on Signature at the left of the Settings page.

On 5/23/2022 at 5:30 PM, Pat Stanford said:

What Operating System is running on the MBP? What version of VW are you running? It sounds kind of like OS incompatibility issues.

Your signature appears to be out of date.  You can fix your signature by clicking on your user name at the upper right, choosing Account Settings, and then clicking on Signature at the left of the Settings page.

Hi Pat, thanks for the reply and sorry for noticing it so late

Both the (dead)MBP and the Mac Pro run 10.15.17 and I'm still running VWX 2019

resetting the preferences momentarily solve the problem but quitting and reopening VWX gives the disappearing problem again..

Edited by Visconte Cobram

It should not be OS compatibility as 2019 is compatible with 10.15.

The next step(s) I would suggest are:

1.  Go to System Preferences. In OS11 it is the Battery control panel. In 10.15 it might be something like Power or Display and turn off Automatic Graphics switching for both battery and power supply. The laptop could be getting confused about what graphics card to use.

2. Quit VW.  Go to your user folder and rename the 2019 user folder or move it somewhere else, maybe your desktop. When you restart VW a new user folder will be recreated. Start VW and see if that solves the problem. You will have to reenter your user id, so make sure you have it.

3. Quit VW. Go to Library:Preferences and remove everything that has a name containing Vectorworks or Nemetschek and ending in .plist.  Start VW and see if this solves the problem.

4. I don't remember if VW2019 shipped with an uninstall app or not. If so, then run that and tell it to do a full uninstall and then reinstall vw.

HTH

• Like 1