Spotlight - Lighting Position in 2D and 3D with offset

DRS

Question

Hello,

I am building a 3D version of a space and we have many lighting pipes that are stacked vertically. For example pipe A, B, C; with A = 20' from floor, B = 22' from floor, and C = 24' From floor. What I am looking todo is the following. When I am in Top/Plan view, the lighting pipes are going to be a single lines that goes up the page with spacing. When I move to any 3D view, I would like the pipes to show as pipes in their vertical stacked orientation. I have somewhat figured this out as I have a line and a 3D pipe both created when a make a hanging position, Where I fall into issue, and I'm not sure if this can be done, Is then I place a lighting fixture/Device, I would like to to show on the single line on the Top/Plan view, and then when moving into 3D view, have the light hang on the 3D pipe. So in a way its showing a schematic view. Also when I do this I place the light on the 2D pipe, and then I switch to a 3D view, the pipe moved but the lights don't. I am working with Vectorworks 2019. I have tried the lighting pipe ladder took, but that is not doing what I want to it do.

1 answer to this question

I think the Create Schematic View command was introduced in 2019. If you don’t know about it, then I made a video in 2020 about them. Your scenario is covered about 5 minutes in.

If you have the means to upgrade to the latest version of Vectorworks then this feature has been greatly improved.

I think it was possible in 2019 to add a light to a schematic view and for the light to show up on the rigging position it is representing. That functionality certainly exists now and seems to be exactly what you are looking for.