Topic for new ideas - How to personalise your UI

Hi all,

We all use VW differently and as obvious we have our UIs differently from one another, i was kinda looking into new ideas on how to improve mine...

I've tried to optimise to more real estate on the screen, as i mostly use shortcuts.

I also use M as shortcut for the Unconstrain dimension tool and W for the magic wand

Left side of the screen

1095436702_Leftsidetoolbar.png.0a4f2a09a9622bc1c46228bef82c4f9c.png

Right side of the screen

568709598_RightSidetoolbar.png.9dea2b444a81c248fa663f79d02eeb29.png

Top right corner - Quick options

2146288072_Quickoptions.png.873059817f59dbdd14805abdf42d6ec6.png

• Like 1

Yes, fellow sufferer here, good idea to discuss.

My main screen's 520mm wide x 293 high - sideways is fine but VW wastes 36mm at the top and 15mm at bottom, many of my sites are multiple km across and I need every mm I can get.

I used to customise VW a lot but it reliably doesn't keep settings between upgrades so almost none now except shortcuts.

I keep all palettes on another screen, but even then VW is not palette-context aware and palettes stay hidden even when active.

That said VW is the best for landscape design - there's a whole herd of CADs out there that are very poor performers for the sort of landscape I do. I design landscapes, some smaller gardens but most jobs are a hectare at least, and increasingly to sub-region-scale so I need all the screen space I can get. I don't use rendering so that some clutter gone - normally hand or digital watercolour is sufficient.

vw2018win.png

VW just doesn't deal with multiple screens well at all. It's way behind other applications in this regard.

Recently I've been using DaVanci resolve a bit (video editing). It has various workspace options that span over two screens. These are robust in the sense that once you choose the setup, it generally stays like that, and the application fully fills each window. And you can put various combinations of docked elements on either monitor.

In VW, the second screen is always unreliable. You can't dock palettes there. You can try having various floating palettes (eg the resource manager) but in my experience they often pop back onto the main screen, or get lost when switching between applications, and so on.

Floating panes in VW are in my experience more trouble than they are worth. I keep trying to make use of them, and having one on my second monitor, but there are multiple issues with them.

This is very frustrating, because if they were stable and reliable, they'd make the drawing process much better. Instead they just cause problems.

Floating panes are yet another example of a feature that was introduced, is potentially really useful, but has just enough problems that I end up avoiding them. The various issues with them have been raised but I'm not aware of any these having been addressed since the initial release.