Snap to rough or finish (or a toggle)??

Mik

Please forgive if this is already part of VW or has been hashed out in the forums (I did not see anything in quick search) but....

Wouldn't it be great if we could tell VW to just snap our dimensions to the rough wall framing vs. finish materials?

1. Place all the dimensions to one or the other.

2. Then duplicate the sheet and flip a switch that says to snap the dimensions the other way. Dimensions that land on non-wall objects stay put.

Done!

Then we can have both vital and convenient dimensions for the different users. (Framers hate finish dimensions, inspectors/plan checkers get picky when actual dimensions that require code conformance are not clear, etc.)

And we don't have to dimension the place twice manually - which inevitably leads to mistakes.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

In case anyone reads this (I can't delete the original post), I found what was interfering with snapping to other components of a wall besides the finish dimensions.

The standard object classes provided in VW lump some things into the same class so when you turn off the class, more disappears. Have to go through and check those to your preferences, I guess. That, combined w/"phantom" walls from other layers would cause dimensions to snap in places I did not want.

It appears that you figured out what was happening, but in case you didn’t know, you can set up ‘master snap’ points on your wall components so that, for example — snapping to face of stud takes precedence over other snap points. 

Sections quoted from the Vw2022 help file:

Certain objects allow the mastersnap point location to be specifically defined. Walls and slabs with components can have master snap points located on the component sides; see Creating wall components and Creating slab components. A locus is used to define the master snappoint location for symbols and groups; see Editing symbol definitions.

From Preferences for Wall components:

Sets the location of any master snap points for the component. A master snap point takes priority over other object snap points; add master snap points to the sides of components where priority snapping is desirable. For example, when dimensioning walls, you may wish to easily place the dimension witness line on the left side of a specific component.

Edited by rDesign