Window object export

Hi there,

I'm new to vectorworks and I'm trying to export a wall with several windows in it to Cinema 4D. I don't have the plugin yet so right now I'm exporting to the 3DS format.

In C4D I the want the jamb, sill the glass etc. to be loose objects. But I don't know how to manage that. I've tried several things but everytime the window and the wall became one object.

Please help!

Thanks,

Bram

Bram,

I ran into this problem in the days before the plugin. Unfortunately there is no simple method.

One way is to use Functions/Explode Segments. The problem is, this creates a huge number of polygons named Obj.1 thru n. It would be easier to import the 3DS file and remodel it with C4D objects.

If you're only doing it once, I'd just remodel it in C4D. Otherwise, the Plugin ($95 at Maxon Shop) is worth the money.

George

Bram,

You can assign seperate materials in VW, but when a complex object (like your wall/window assembly) is exported as 3DS, it becomes a single object when opened in C4D. If you Explode the object in C4d, you get a ton of polygons.

The plugin (Vectorworks Exchange) gives several export options: Class or Name of Texture. The choice depends on how you plan to use the export in C4D. For example, if you choose Class, the int. & ext. faces of an Exterior Wall will be in a single class and require some work in C4D to assign materials. If you assign different textures in VW (Int=paint, Ext=Shingle Siding) and choose the Texture Name export option, they will load into C4D under their Texture names.

The same is true for windows. Pre-assigning textures in VW will control how the individual window components import in C4D.

How do you plan to use the VW objects in C4D? Editing the structure of the imported objects is not recommended of you plan to Update the C4D file from the original VW file.

George

Hi George,

Thanks for the info!

I plan on modeling with VW and render in C4D. So I'll be using the auto update.

But I'm new to VW (formerly Think3 user) and working on a huge project for an interiordesign.

I've searched the Net and the helpfiles of VW but I can't find a way to give a sill, jamb, or sash seperate textures. I'm sure this must be possible!

Bram

Hi Bram,

Which "flavor" of VW are you using (Arch)?

It used to be a little easier to find these settings in previous versions, although there is logic behind their current placement. Hope I can explain this without making it worse.

1. I suggest using Auto-classing so that things like doors, windows, etc. will be placed in the drawing with a class assignment based on a pre determined standard.

File/Document Settings/Standard Naming

In the dialogue box that opens:

Select an Active Standard (VWArch) and check the Enable Auto-classing box.

2. Try the following in an empty drawing:

Create a window in the drawing. Double click on it - opens Window Preferences Dialogue box. Click on the View Tab. On the lower right you'll see Special Classes with Part & Class drop down menus (Glazing is selected below). Select a Part and Style number. The Styles are only ID'd by number. Parts that will have the same texture can have the same Class number assigned. After organizing the Parts and Style numbers, click OK to return to the drawing.

Look in your Class list and you will see a Class named Style containing any Style classes added in the previous procedure. Now if you go into the Organization Panel - Classes Tab, you can edit the Styles and assign VW textures.

Play with it a bit in a practice drawing so you can do some fast test renders.

George

[ 03-15-2006, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: George Hannigan ]

Bram,

Glad to help. Lately i've been giving more thought to my Class structure and how it will work in C4D.

It's worth the effort because C4D produces really nice results.

Remember that your imported geometry, the "VW Container", should not be edited in C4D. I do add objects created in C4D to the VW stuff.

George