Standard Arch Dim Style Acting Strange

LukasC

Question

Hello all, 

I randomly starting getting a strange occurrence with dimensioning. We've been using the standard Arch dim style in our drawings with either the 10pt or 12pt dim text style. Recently I tried adding additional dimensions to multiple drawings and the dimensions drawings are huge compared to what's in there even though it's the same dim style and I was sure to put my text style to what was already in the drawing. If I create a custom dim style, it works fine and draws the dimension with the correct text size, but if I use the arch dim style, and no matter what I do with different settings, it draws the text very large. This happens in all files I've tried to add additional dimensions in. I've attached screenshot showing size difference in text. I usually dimension in annotation space, but I've tried in both design layer and annotation on multiple drawings with the same result of large text.  

If anyone has any ideas on settings or other possible solutions, it would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Lukas 

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.33.03 AM.png

5 answers to this question

It varies per drawing, but most are either 1/4 or 1/8. I haven't changed any layer scales on any of the drawings and have done lots of revisions to the dimensions over the past fews months with no trouble and it would automatic use the dim style/size in the document when adding additional dimensions. Then randomly last week it starting adding dimensions in all drawings at that large text size. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It sounds like the default text size was changed.  The default dimension standards will draw using the document default text (font, size, etc) settings.

Deselect all objects (double-clicking the Selection tool will do it), set the Font, Size, etc as desired in the Text menu and dimensions should draw as expected.  Probably a better option is to create your own dimension custom Dimension Standard and have it use a Test Style to keep it consistent without worrying about the document defaults.  If you have a template you use for new projects, you could add the dimension standard to it and set it as the default as well.

Hi Matt, 

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that hasn't worked. I've made sure the default text size is set to either Dimensions 10pt or 12pt, as that's what we usually use. When I use the dimension tool with the Arch dim style selected it still draws it at a large text size, probably around 36pt.. We do have a a template where I've created custom dim styles which seem to work fine. However, a lot of our in progress drawings used just the standard Arch dim style, so now going in and updating dimensions/adding new ones in cumbersome. If I match properties with existing dimensions, the large text will convert to the correct size. But no matter what text style I put as a the default prior to drawing a dimension, it draws it a at large text size.