Skylights on window schedule?

I would love to have someone explain to me the best way to do this. I am going to try building a hybrid symbol following the instuctions i found on this site, but the next part I am not sure of. I tried using the ID tool and was able to make it recognize a basic 2D graphic as a window, but I'm no clear how to add more information to the record

Although there is no GOOD way to do this, as Robert Says, you could select the 3d skylight object, (or its ID tag, or any object for that matter) and click the data tab in the object info pallette, check the window record box, and manually enter the skylight data. I did this in a project with only 2 skylights and it seemed to work in VW11.5. (got them on the schedule anyways..)

Robert- I too usually add skylights to the window schedule, as our builders usually order skylights from the same supplier as the windows. (I don't know if that is what you mean by usual practice...)

-Jake

• 2 years later...
I don't believe Jake's technique works anymore with VW12. Wnd schedules generate info from the DATA tab within WINDOW SETTINGS rather that the DATA tab in the Object Info Palette.

Cheers, mmm

Is this still a problem in VW2008? I'm trying to get several skylights on my window schedule and I can't seem to make it work.

Pre-advice caveat: I don't "insert" my skylights in the roof, I just place them where they should be and manually cut a hole.

With that in mind...

Take your 2d and 3d skylight geometry and turn it all into a symbol. Each size and roof slope combination need their own symbol. I would name it something like "MySkylight-geometry".

Grab another window symbol or PIO that already has most of the info set to this drawing's standard (in the data field, if you have such), duplicate (and rename if it's a symbol- I use something like "MySkylight-sched" to differentiate it from the geometry donor) that window, and edit it through the "settings" button.

In the first window of the "settings", fill in the size information of the skylight, then choose "use symbol geometry" and navigate to the above-named 'geometry' symbol. Then in the data field, check "on schedule" and fill in any further info specific to this skylight.

I think you will need to include "inSymbol" in your worksheet criteria.

Good luck.

Nope, I use "Fixed Glass" and then clarify that it is a skylight in the notes. I use S- as a prefix in the ID bubble to further differentiate it from the windows, both on the plan and in the schedule.

I frequently remove the whole "Sash Operation" column from the schedule toward the end of a project anyway, since a large portion end up with VWA's less-than-informative "Custom"...

As an aside, this workflow also works nicely for mitered windows, exterior pocket- or multi-sliders, funky custom garage doors, or any door or window that can't be built around the core of a VW door or window PIO; or that consists of multiple PIO's in a single symbol, where no individual PIO has reportable dimensions for schedule purposes, etc.