Exporting to Lightwright

I think I'm now starting to get how to use the lighting side of VW. Now, I want to export it to Lightwright to start getting some paperwork accomplished.

What's the process I go through?

I tried exporting the worksheet to LW.

Then I open LW and try to import.

Currently I'm getting a message that says that it can't find VectorWorks.

I'm lost. Would you mind walking me through this?

Thanks

Dave Barnes

Guest Frank Brault

Hi Dave,

The process is simply to use the Export to LightWright3 menu command in the Paperwork section of the Theatrical Lighting menu. This makes a file with the special Unique ID that VW needs to get the revised database info back into your drawing.

Be sure that you're working in the latest Thaetrical Lighting Toolkit 8.5.2, available as a download from our website to all registered users.

If you need more exact info, let me know more about each step in your sequence.

btw, we have released a bugfix for some unrelated plug-ins available at:

http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/vectorworks/index.html

hth,

Frank Brault

Originally posted by Frank Brault:

Hi Dave,

The process is simply to use the Export to LightWright3 menu command in the Paperwork section of the Theatrical Lighting menu. This makes a file with the special Unique ID that VW needs to get the revised database info back into your drawing.

Be sure that you're working in the latest Thaetrical Lighting Toolkit 8.5.2, available as a download from our website to all registered users.

If you need more exact info, let me know more about each step in your sequence.

btw, we have released a bugfix for some unrelated plug-ins available at:

http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/vectorworks/index.html

hth,

Frank Brault

Thanks for your quick response. Here's what I've done...

I've downloaded 8.5.2.

I've installed it.

I've rebuilt the desktop.

Now, I've made a document with 5 lights on a batten. I move to export it. and get a file called "Export to LW.txt"

Then I move to LW and open a new file. Then try to import it and I get a message that reads...

The document Export fo LW.txt could not be opened, because the application "VectorWorks" could not be found.

The document cannot be translated because an unexpected problem has occurred.

(-2048)

That's what's been happening from the beginning as I've done it.

Any Ideas?

By the way, by way of regular E-mail, I've attached the file I'm working with if that'll help.

Thanks.

Dave Barnes

Guest Frank Brault

Hi Dave,

I didn't get your file, but from reading your response, it may be that you're not opening your export file in LightWright3 with the right method. Try using the 'Import data...' command in LW. You'll have to match up the field names, but if you're using version 3.m or later, there is a nifty auto match feature for this purpose. Hint: The text fields correspond to the T-1, T-2, T-3 field series in the toolkit. After you've gone through this process, LW asks you if you want to save the settings, so you don't have to do it again. The same process is repeated in reverse to get the file back into VW, this time, using the Export... command in LW, and using the Import from LightWright3 command in VW.

hth,

Frank Brault

quote:

Originally posted by Frank Brault:

Hi Dave,

I didn't get your file, but from reading your response, it may be that you're not opening your export file in LightWright3 with the right method. Try using the 'Import data...' command in LW. You'll have to match up the field names, but if you're using version 3.m or later, there is a nifty auto match feature for this purpose. Hint: The text fields correspond to the T-1, T-2, T-3 field series in the toolkit. After you've gone through this process, LW asks you if you want to save the settings, so you don't have to do it again. The same process is repeated in reverse to get the file back into VW, this time, using the Export... command in LW, and using the Import from LightWright3 command in VW.

hth,

Frank Brault

Thanks for the quick response. Whew.

So, from what I'm getting from you...

Is this my mistake?...

I'm starting with a light plot put together in VW.

Does that mean that it doesn't translate to LW if you haven't started first in LW?

Maybe you need to walk me through the process from beginning to end. (I'm just that new to this.)

Oh, and I did attach a file to an e-mail I sent to the VW tech support section. I put your make in the subject area. Sorry. Didn't know any other way.

Dave Barnes

Guest Frank Brault

Hi Dave,

It might be helpful to understand a bit about what you are doing in this process. The Import and export commands are making an intermediate shuttle file. Each time that you want to go back and forth between VW and LW, a file is written in one application (Export) and then read in the other application (Import) which passes the information back and forth.

You don't directly click on this file out on the desktop. VW and LW handle this text file with their respective Import and Export commands, which you run while you are in each application. So the process is something like this:

Make your plot with instruments in VW. Create a 'TO LW' shuttle file, while in VW, with the Export to LightWright3 command.

Go to LightWright3. Open the 'TO LW' shuttle file in LightWright3 using the Import Date command. Do your work in LW.

Now when you want to get the revised info back into VW, make a 'To VW' shuttle file while you're still in LightWright3. Then switch to VW and open the 'TO VW' shuttle file with the VectorWorks Import From LightWright3 command.

Here are step-by-step instructions from the online manual p.OL-TL-32:

To Export Data to LightWright3:

1. From the Theatrical Lighting menu, select Paperwork then Export to LightWright3.

2. In the Save dialog, name the file then click Save. This creates a 'shuttle file' on the disk somewhere. Remember where you put it.

This will be imported into LightWright3. The way that you get the file into LW is to launch LW. Choose the 'Import Data...' command in LW.

Note: You must be in LW at this point. Not in VW, or the desktop.

Locate the file in the GetFile dialog that the 'Import Data...' command in LW presents to you.

Once selected, LW will give you the match field dialog, where you align VW fields to LW fields. As I wrote before, this is a little tedious, but you only have to do it once.

After you finish aligning fields, dismiss the dialog in LW, and your show will be displayed is LW.

After editing in LightWright3, You make another 'Shuttle file', this time using the 'Export' command in LW. This file can be imported back into VectorWorks.

After you have created your export file in LW, switch back to your Vectorworks file.

To Import Data from LightWright3:

1. From the Theatrical Lighting menu, select Paperwork then Import from

LightWright3.

2. In the Open dialog, select your LightWright3 file then click Open.

The instruments in your VectorWorks file are updated with the information from LightWright3.

Some practical advice:

Before you think about exporting any instruments to LW, give them, at least, a unit number and lighting position. Otherwise, you won't be able to tell what you are looking at in LightWright. You don't have to have all your instruments, because you can add them later, but each instrument that you want to work on in LW should have the position and unit number filled out.

Good luck!

Frank Brault

I'm sorry. I know it's a lousy thing to start your morning... seeing another problem from me... but, I guess, I'm stubborn enough to try to make this thing work.

So, I tried your plan. Followed it, I think to the letter.

Exported into LW and saved the file as "dave.txt"

and got this message

Now, I've made a document with 5 lights on a batten. I move to export it. and get a file called "Export to LW.txt"

Then I move to LW and open a new file. Then try to import it and I get a message that reads...

The document dave.txt could not be opened, because the application "VectorWorks" could not be found.

The document cannot be translated because an unexpected problem has occurred.

(-2048)

Unfortunately, that's what's been happening from the beginning as I've done it.

Any more ideas?

If I didn't mention this before, I'm using

VW8.5.2 and LW3m

Again, I apologize for the lengthy diatribe on this issue.

Dave

• 6 months later...

Frank,

I am having difficulties importing and exporting from VW 8.5.2 and LW3 on a PC. I was using 8.5.1 on my boss's computer and upgraded today hoping to fix the problem. I updated to 8.5.2 and then updated the toolkit (which seemed to have a more recent release date), but the problem persisted. When I go to lightwright, I end up with a bunch of records that are nothing but zeros, but more importantly, once I edit in lightwright and try to go back, I get vectorscript errors. It did work twice, but on trying to edit the drawing and then merge back into the lightwright file, I ended up with duplicates of everything, which of course prevented lightwright from being able to match up any External or LW ID numbers. Help!