How to change the homepage of a design layer???

Michaelatkerr

Question

Hi, 

How on earth do you change the homepage of a design layer?   For example, if I am in a sheet layer and then go back to a design layer I want to be able to change the view it goes to .   My file is large and it keeps going back to the original view from months ago and therefore a superseded design.....

Is it in origins or something?  Would be super useful if it was just "last used view" in that design layer....

I like working with multiple view panes but this annoyingly slows down drawing time dramatically...... 

Cheers

10 answers to this question

When you Edit a Design Layer from a viewport, it should provide the same view of the Design Layer as was being displayed in the Viewport.

If that is not what you are seeing, please provide screen shots or screen movies showing what you get so we can understand the problem.

Also, what do you mean "going back to original view from months ago"?  Are you doing multiple designs on a single design layer in different locations to do different iterations?

Thanks for your reply, sorry I didn't see that someone had replied. 

Misunderstanding.  I understand that editing a design layer from a viewport provides the same view.  It is when you navigate from the layout page to the drawing page that I'm talking about; not when you click inside a viewport to edit the design layer.  

Going back to the original view from months ago.  As in you start Drawing A,  and progressively end up with iteration Drawing Z in another location.  When you navigate from layout page back to the drawing page it goes to the original view of Drawing A, and you have to annoyingly scroll over to Drawing Z.  Every time.  Every single time.  Drawing A is obsolete.  Yes using a single layer.  So how do we modify what this home view of the drawing page is so I don't have to scroll along each time especially when the file gets large. 

Hope you see what I mean

I think the view is always centred on the Internal Origin/Page when you navigate back to a Design Layer from a Sheet Layer. So if you have geometry drawn far from the internal origin/page you could either use the 'Previous View' button on the LHS of the View Bar to take you back to your previous view on the Design Layer or create a 'Drawing Z' Saved View to quickly return to that particular location on the Design Layer.

Alternatively, place all your different drawings on different design layers, one on top of the other, then you don't have to stray further + further away from the page as the project develops...

Aha I saw it referred to online but couldn't find it anywhere! Had never investigated what was hiding behind the Pan tool before!

To be honest I always have my page boundary turned off so unlikely I'm ever going to need it but sounds like the perfect solution to @Michaelatkerr's problem, to move the page boundary each time a new drawing's started