Advanced Section Properties - Hatch Improvement Requests

blanger

Question

7 answers to this question

3 hours ago, blanger said:

2) Scale Hatch 

In a top plan viewport you are able to scale not only line type and weight but also hatch style.  When Sectioning the Hatch Scale does not appear in Advanced Properties Display options.

This is critical as hatches, especially in a full size detail, can become very tight and need to be scaled.  Choosing an appropriate hatch for the object can work well for one scaled viewport but not another and should be adjustable for each viewport.

100% agree 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My understanding is that when they get ready to choose tasks for the next version, someone from VW management goes through the Wish List forum and reviews the suggestions. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about how long a post is popular or how many upvotes it takes to make it happen. It depends on the difficulty of the task, the benefit to the largest number of users, and how does this change fit in with other planned changes.

In other words, it is a crap shoot. 😉

• Laugh 2
2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

My understanding is that when they get ready to choose tasks for the next version, someone from VW management goes through the Wish List forum and reviews the suggestions. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about how long a post is popular or how many upvotes it takes to make it happen. It depends on the difficulty of the task, the benefit to the largest number of users, and how does this change fit in with other planned changes.

In other words, it is a crap shoot. 😉

Thank you for explaining. I totally understand that choosing to develop a wish is based on many factors - but the subject description for wishlist says all will be recorded and I was wondering how often that happens. Crossing my fingers for this one - of all my wishes I posted this one would make a huge difference for me!

Edited by blanger
On 5/15/2022 at 9:11 PM, blanger said:

2) Scale Hatch 

In a top plan viewport you are able to scale not only line type and weight but also hatch style.  When Sectioning the Hatch Scale does not appear in Advanced Properties Display options.

This is critical as hatches, especially in a full size detail, can become very tight and need to be scaled.  Choosing an appropriate hatch for the object can work well for one scaled viewport but not another and should be adjustable for each viewport.

In the meantime, might it help to use World scale-hatches instead of Page-scale hatches?

On 5/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, blanger said:

2) Scale Hatch 

@blanger I get what you are saying overall, and consistency between the viewport controls within VWX is certainly a desirable characteristic from a user interface point of view.  However, I wonder how many of these scale issues are related to digital drafting practices without regard to classic manual drafting conventions.  This is one area where Vectorworks seems to have done a good job... page scale hatches.

Have you considered drawing your objects 'by class' and using class overrides to address different depiction needs?  This gives me the flexibility to achieve what I need to do.

Having a default hatch set when one is not specified would be a good catchall.