ConnectedCad 2022 - Re-Number Devices

Hi there,

Started using 2022 recently and have found that the Re-Number Devices tool has some interesting behaviour. When you use it the first time, it works as expected. But if you add a device and then run the tool again - you get the new number appended to the old one. 

So the first screenshot is the first use of the Re-Number Tool.

575544196_SCREENSHOT1.png.7904af2f193973fa66aa8094ad151fcf.png

Second screen shot is using the Tool starting from 1. There are only three devices in this example. 

227270950_SCREENSHOT2.png.caf73f192b0671e321bfd8deee6048f3.png

It appears that the numbering is just being appended, rather than replacing the previous number.

Let me know if you need any further info.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well we do a lot of trying to guess your intentions in this command... and on this occasion it looks like we did not succeed. You see, some people want the existing numeric suffix retained and others want it replaced. In this case the selection set does not have a consistent numeric suffix so one might reasonably assume that the numbers are part of the name. If you can think of a way to figure out the users intention let me know 🙂

And at the end of the day if the command helps out 95% of time I think it's OK and we should not add extra complications.

Best

Conrad

Hi Conrad,

I understand that there may be some use cases where users want new device numbers appended to old, but thus is a fundamental change from every previous version of Connectcad that I have used (2018-2021) and it is becoming very frustrating. Would it be possible to add a checkbox so that users can choose whether they want existing device numbering replaced or appended to?

Cheers

Jonny

Hello @JonnyAVC,

Let me explain you the current logic of the menu, this might help you make better use of it:

First, the menu is looking for a common prefix from all the selected devices. If it finds a common prefix, then it uses it and adds the new suffix after it. Otherwise, (the case that you have in that simple test file) when there is no common prefix it takes the whole name and adds the new suffix to it.

So the easiest way to use the tool is to use it on devices with common prefixes. We have done this because it seemed more reasonable to have devices like (Device-1, Device-2, Device-3, Test-1, Test-2) rather than (Device-1, Device-2, Device-3, Test-4, Test-5).

I hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Good morning,
let me start out with:  I am a happy renumbering user.

While I understand things shouldn't get overcomplicated, there is one use-case that maybe you could look at?
--> renumbering devices with more then 1 digit with the first digit staying the same.

e.g. I'd like to renumber:

Device-32, Device-33, ... to Device-38, Device-39,...

or
Device-120, Device-121,... to Device-150, Device-151,...

Currently, I can't. As CCAD creates:
Device-3-38, Device-3-39,... and I have to change all devices to Device- first and then start renumbering starting with 38. (given that they have the same name/ are of the same device type. Wouldn't work in @JonnyAVC's case)

Possibly give the option for a current prefix (what to look for, with none as an option) and a prefix for the renumbering (as done currently)?

best,

g

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, elc said:

Good morning,
let me start out with:  I am a happy renumbering user.

While I understand things shouldn't get overcomplicated, there is one use-case that maybe you could look at?
--> renumbering devices with more then 1 digit with the first digit staying the same.

e.g. I'd like to renumber:

Device-32, Device-33, ... to Device-38, Device-39,...

or
Device-120, Device-121,... to Device-150, Device-151,...

Currently, I can't. As CCAD creates:
Device-3-38, Device-3-39,... and I have to change all devices to Device- first and then start renumbering starting with 38. (given that they have the same name/ are of the same device type. Wouldn't work in @JonnyAVC's case)

Possibly give the option for a current prefix (what to look for, with none as an option) and a prefix for the renumbering (as done currently)?

best,

g

Hello @elc,

Thanks for the feedback! That's an interesting case that you have caught there. We will look into it.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov