Enable Pipe Tool to create 'Ring Mains'

Jeremy Best

Question

Submitted on behalf of a user:

A 'ring main' is a circular section of pipe. It enables water to flow in both directions from the entry point around the ring to any outlet pipes it feeds. The Pipe Tool does not support the creation of ring mains. 

Currently, if you finish a shape by clicking on the starting point with the Pipe Tool, the last section is made invisible. You cannot create a closed shape. This means that the total length of pipe shown in the OIP excludes this last section. 

This means that this closed shape… 

image.thumb.png.ba850f4bd1118ac9ac7e9d14ecaba0a1.png

Becomes this open shape… 

image.png.e2a53581d2e198f4c547bef85c856635.png

Can closed shapes be enabled with the Pipe Tool? 

Cheers, 

Jeremy 

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Jeremy Best The program is unable to create/calculate a "Looped Main" (US term) at this point. This also effects pressure loss calculations which are reduced in a looped main install. Our current workflow to approximate a looped main as closely as possible, is to create a closed polygon. at the midway point (opposite the point of connection), remove a very small section of that edge so that your user has a small opening opposite of the point of connection. Once this is done, they can right-click select Create Object from Shape>Irrigation Pipe from object, then connect the other network elements to this mainline. I think that is as much help as I'm able to offer now.

• Like 1

Hi @Scott Lebsack and thank your helpful reply. I'll pass your suggested workflow on to the user. 

I've realised I should have worded my final sentence/question differently. The user - and surely others - would like Looped Mains supported, so my final question should have been, 'Can this be added to the official Wishlist of desired functionalities?' 

Thanks! 

Jeremy 

• Like 1