why can't i edit my viewport annotations

AmandaRC

Question

I've created a couple of viewports, it's the same planting plan and view port just rotated, but i want to increase the size of it in one of the viewports. I've altered the scale but i don't want the words so large as they now don't fit on the sheet.

For some reason i can't edit either viewport now. I just want to change the size of the font!

It's probably very simple but i seem to have lost the ability to edit it.

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 14.00.16.png

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 14.00.03.png

6 answers to this question

What have you tried to be able to edit the Annotations?  

I created a viewport, duplicated it, rotated it right 90 degrees.  When I double click on the Viewport I get the Edit Viewport dialog box asking is I want to edit the Annotations, the Crop, or the Design Layers.  This is what I have the double click setting for. If I choose Annotation I am taken to the Annotation Group and can edit them.

If you have your double click set to something else, what happens when you Right Click on the rotated Viewport and choose Edit or Edit Annotations from the contextual menu?

If none of that works, save the file, quit VW and restart.  If that does not do it, restart the computer. If that still does not do it, post the file or DM it to me and I will take a look.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Amanda,

Nice looking planting plan.

Are you using the plant tag or the data tag? If it's the data tag and you've added it to the viewport (as I would recommend), then you should be able edit the style itself and change the size, or scale it in the settings if that is set to 'by instance'.

(And if you're using the data tag, they wouldn't scale - they would stay the same even if you're changing the scale of the viewport.)

However, if you're using the built in plant tag (as I guess you are), then you have to go back to the design layer and change the size there (Text > Size) - you can't do that in the viewport. If you're scaling the viewport, then you're scaling the font as well - they're 'part of the image'.

• Like 1
On 5/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, Pat Stanford said:

What have you tried to be able to edit the Annotations?  

I created a viewport, duplicated it, rotated it right 90 degrees.  When I double click on the Viewport I get the Edit Viewport dialog box asking is I want to edit the Annotations, the Crop, or the Design Layers.  This is what I have the double click setting for. If I choose Annotation I am taken to the Annotation Group and can edit them.

If you have your double click set to something else, what happens when you Right Click on the rotated Viewport and choose Edit or Edit Annotations from the contextual menu?

If none of that works, save the file, quit VW and restart.  If that does not do it, restart the computer. If that still does not do it, post the file or DM it to me and I will take a look.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:45 PM, Katarina Ollikainen said:

Hi Amanda,

Nice looking planting plan.

Are you using the plant tag or the data tag? If it's the data tag and you've added it to the viewport (as I would recommend), then you should be able edit the style itself and change the size, or scale it in the settings if that is set to 'by instance'.

(And if you're using the data tag, they wouldn't scale - they would stay the same even if you're changing the scale of the viewport.)

However, if you're using the built in plant tag (as I guess you are), then you have to go back to the design layer and change the size there (Text > Size) - you can't do that in the viewport. If you're scaling the viewport, then you're scaling the font as well - they're 'part of the image'.

Thank you Katarina, I will check this all out after i get back from Chelsea at the weekend. Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.