Exterior palette experimentation?

Can anyone point me to a discussion or advice on experimenting with exterior detail options.  I am currently building an addition where I have quite a bit of the existing house and addition modeled.  My exterior finishes are basically approximations using standard or slightly tweaked textures as part of wall style tool components.  Experimenting with painted brick colors for the existing house and different siding textures or colors seems more complicated than it should be by having to go in and change the texture components of the wall styles.  Am I approaching this the wrong way?  Hints?  Tips?

Thanks in advance

20 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Are you really on VW2012? If you are on VW2021 or later you can use Materials which are then very easy to override using Data Viz to display different finish options.

Forgive me, where is it indicated that I am using 2012?  I'm running the latest build of 2021.  I'm a long-standing slow adopting service select subscriber.  

More specific question.  Is there a way to experiment with alternate textures such as changing the original brick to painted brick without changing the wall style components? Such as by setting a class for the brick exterior component of the wall style and simply change the class texture and have the modeled wall style update to reflect that?

8 minutes ago, Inspectorjack said:

Such as by setting a class for the brick exterior component of the wall style and simply change the class texture and have the modeled wall style update to reflect that?

Using classes is one approach and should work reliably.

Using Materials is another (assuming you're using Component Textures; doesn't work in a By Part workflow). Then you change the texture of the Material definition in the RM, analogous to changing the texture of a Class. However at the moment there's a bug where walls seem to not refresh upon changing the Material texture, and need to be regenerated before the new texture displays.

Another approach would be setting up a Data Visualization that tells all objects which have the brick texture (or material) to display a different texture. Wow, this seems to be buggy as well. In my quick test the Data Vis is overriding the texture on entire wall objects instead of just the relevant components/parts.

Another approach would be to find the brick texture in the RM, right click, choose Delete, then select a texture to replace it with. This should replace the texture in all component and class definitions. This is a bit more 'destructive' but as long as you have the original texture saved in a Favorite or Library somewhere, you can always get it back by deleting the replacement texture and replacing it with the original once again.

So maybe the Classes approach would be the best?

1 minute ago, Andy Broomell said:

Using classes is one approach and should work reliably.

Using Materials is another (assuming you're using Component Textures; doesn't work in a By Part workflow). Then you change the texture of the Material definition in the RM, analogous to changing the texture of a Class. However at the moment there's a bug where walls seem to not refresh upon changing the Material texture, and need to be regenerated before the new texture displays.

Another approach would be setting up a Data Visualization that tells all objects which have the brick texture (or material) to display a different texture. Wow, this seems to be buggy as well. In my quick test the Data Vis is overriding the texture on entire wall objects instead of just the relevant components/parts.

Another approach would be to find the brick texture in the RM, right click, choose Delete, then select a texture to replace it with. This should replace the texture in all component and class definitions. This is a bit more 'destructive' but as long as you have the original texture saved in a Favorite or Library somewhere, you can always get it back by deleting the replacement texture and replacing it with the original once again.

So maybe the Classes approach would be the best?

Thanks very much for the approach ideas.